Pole Building Heat - Wood Furnace

So...I was offered a Yukon fuel oil/wood burning forced air furnace, it's an older unit (late 80's early 90's) was used to heat a 2 story house when it was new, and more recently has been used for past 10 yrs. or so to heat a 40x40x12 shop. The price was right as the inlaw's are giving it to me.

Question is...is it worth installing inside my new 36x56x14 building? Would something like this work if I installed it outside, in a small building separate building, thus not taking up space in my shop. Something similar to this, with wood storage as well.
outdoorwoodstove.jpg

I'm not expecting this to heat my whole shop to 60-70*, but if it is able to knock off the chill to say 35-40* when I'm out there, I'm fine with it.

I still need to talk to the insurance to verify this is something they're willing to work with since it's a used wood furnace. I know for a fact they're fine with new wood burning stoves inside our house, as we're looking at adding one in the near future.

Just trying to see what other have done in the past or if someone has better idea.

If its outside there is no reason insurance cant approve it. Id say it should do just fine heating your whole shop nicely. I would definitely put it outside the shop otherwise you will hate the space it takes up.

If its outside there is no reason insurance cant approve it. Id say it should do just fine heating your whole shop nicely. I would definitely put it outside the shop otherwise you will hate the space it takes up.

Space and mess it makes!

I had a hard time getting house insurance because of my outside wood boiler that's 200ft from my house. Check with your insurance company before you buy it! Those Yukon eagle furnaces are awesome! Should heat the shop well. It will be more efficient indoors but will take up a lot more space because they are fairly large.

Last edited:
I have a hot blast wood/coal furnace in my shop 30x50x14.
Its has no insulation and I can get it up to 70* in about 2 hours when its 30* outside. The hot blast is very similar to a Yukon. I love it!

Good deal! Looks like I'll be calling the insurance to make sure this works!

Insurance is a no go for this idea or for anything wood or coal burning in an out building. Odd, because I can get insured for either inside the house.

Going to call around some other insurance agencies and see about coverage.

Insurance is a no go for this idea or for anything wood or coal burning in an out building. Odd, because I can get insured for either inside the house.

Going to call around some other insurance agencies and see about coverage.

Put living quarters in the barn, LOL.

I am guessing the uninhabited part as well as flammable atmosphere could be the flag.

I went thru this when I was trying to figure out heat for my garage.

What I was told is with a wood fire furnace if you were to knock over some gas and the vabors were to travel over to the wood furnace, well you would have a bomb.

With something like a hanging lp/ng furnace if that were to happen you could either turn the furnace off or the vapors would stay low and not get into the hanging wall furance.

I asked why I could have one in my house and he said "most" people dont have gas or other flamable liquids in there house.

I see there point dont agree with it put I see there point.

I have a wood burning furnace in my garage that heats my house. I put it in the garage to keep the mess out there and it radiates enough heat to heat the garage too. I don't remember if it was code or if insurance had me do it, but I had to make a stand to keep the furnace 2 ft off the floor because flammable vapors will hang low to the ground. Indiana farm bureau insurance was ok with it and I switched to allstate about 1 year ago and they too are ok with it.

State Farm's reasoning was they've had too many claims in past for fires as a result of wood/coal stoves due to not watching it as close since it's not in the main residence.

Been calling a few local places and still waiting for answers. Geico says they will cover the shop with a wood stove so long as the chimney is cleaned annually, so I'm going to price out coverage through them.