Popped another headgasket

used lube and long smooth stokes (wow i left myself open with that one) so thats not the issue, time to drop some coin on some more crap ugh

Lostnwalmart:

I feel your pain. I broke two of my ARP.o.s. studs when I did mine. And I only took them to 115. I think the trick is to re-torque when it's hot. As soon as you shut it off, tear it down and get to wrenching. Mine felt so much smoother when it was warm.

I have done all of my retorques when cold because the head and block are "expanded" when hot. So if you torque the studs down when cold you will have better clamping force. My studs are at 135 and they have been torqued down lots of times, been holding my S400's 46psi of boost now for about a month with no troubles. I'm going to up the timing and put some more fuel too it ASAP.

Hey WalMart. You should get ahold of Greg. He will warranty them for you. Or atleast that is what i was understanding. He also can sell just one stud to you.

not if you dont use the proper tourqe i talked to arp and they stait up said onlyreason it broke was from over tourque

how the hell do they know that. Could have been bad material or a number of things. I had 2 break but they had rust on them very bad. Wasnt sure from what or why but they were broke when i pulled the head off. And you could acutally see where the rust had started at the crack and then you could see where there was not rust. You could tell the stud cracked a little then finally broke. Havent had a problem since.

how the hell do they know that. Could have been bad material or a number of things. I had 2 break but they had rust on them very bad. Wasnt sure from what or why but they were broke when i pulled the head off. And you could acutally see where the rust had started at the crack and then you could see where there was not rust. You could tell the stud cracked a little then finally broke. Havent had a problem since.

X2 on that. There are a couple studs that run through water jackets if I remember right? that sounds kinda balonee they can fatigue.

Get the good studs and be done with it. I used to re torque my standard ARP's prior to an event(125psi). Thats the only way they would hold a gasket in my experience. I went through a number of gaskets until I religiously retorqued it prior to an event.

I have since put the expensive studs in at 165lbs and haven't touched it in a year(knock on wood.) In my opinion they are worth the extra money.

Back