popping noise

smokeyourdiesel

i noticed a popping noise when running threw the gears. i dont know to explain it other than sounding like a back fire or cutting out. it dont do it all the time but when it does it starts doing it about 2600 or 2700 rpms and continues to do it.

does it with or without the programmer and warm motor or cold motor. fuel filter gets replaced every 5000. rail pressure seems to be normal and fuel pressure is good.

ANY IDEALS?

Sounds like you are draining the rail but if your rail pressure isn't falling off then I'm not sure.

rail pressure peak is about 24 or 25 and falls off to about 21 or 22. im thinking that my relief valve is popping open just for a split second but i cant see and indication of that with the gauge

popping sound

3rd and 5th is when i notice the most

Ok,... so have you done a cam? I've had this issue with an auto several different times in the past 5 years. It always came back to a timing issue.

The reason I asked about the cam is that I'd bet most guys don't degree their cam and often that presents a timing issue you didn't realize. Aside from that I would start slowly cranking down anything that puts timing on your truck until the issue disappears.

Another thing I believe could cause this is insufficient fuel delivery. What lp are you using? What cp3 mods?

As stated by another member,.... capping the rail IMO is a great mod. I paid about $50 from Floor It for my cap. For that $50 you get about 2k more rail pressure which is the equivalent of a EZ or VA C3.1. Also you eliminate potential problems as the other member eluded as the relief valve can be a source of problems. I have never heard of anyone who capped their rail having had a problem because of it. Go for it!

x2 on the timing issue. It has largely come to light on 03-04 trucks running TNT with aftermarket sticks.

First I have heard about the cam issue though. I first experienced the popping with a stock cam.

Pat, could you shed more light on that with the cam timing?

so what parts are needed and where is the relief valve located at to remove it.....

FTE diesel sells Floor-it's rail cap. quality peice.
It is behind intake horn with a hard line bolted on top of a 2" tall cylinder. Hope this help's

FTE diesel sells Floor-it's rail cap. quality peice.
It is behind intake horn with a hard line bolted on top of a 2" tall cylinder. Hope this help's

Or for 2 bucks go to a hardware store and pick up a matching S.S. bolt

everything is stock on the truck minus whats in my signature. i thought the programmer had something to do with when it was on tow mode. so i took the programmer off. still does it. lp pressure is 9.5 at idle.

the only thing i dont like about capping the rail is possibly cracking a injector. dont know if it would or not.

anybody know what a relief valve cost from dodge? just curious.

probably going to get the cap from dr performance.

Cam degreeing

x2 on the timing issue. It has largely come to light on 03-04 trucks running TNT with aftermarket sticks.

First I have heard about the cam issue though. I first experienced the popping with a stock cam.

Pat, could you shed more light on that with the cam timing?

I have run two aftermarket cams and they needed degreeing. One was a
-9*! IMO, all cams need to be degreed in so as to best support your valve train timing. I don't believe you will find a professional engine builder who doesn't include this vital step. I have often thought when two trucks are basically identical with mods and they run so completly different that this may well be the cause. You hear of guys complaining about injector ping/rattle while others running the same setups don't have that problem. And then you have this issue of the popping. I realize this is not ALWAYS the problem for the popping but from what I have personally seen it is by far the major contributor and next would be a fuel delivery problem, IMO. Proper timing is critical.

cam has never been out of the truck. so are you saying that dodge could have degreed it wrong. if that is so i would have noticed it sooner but it has just started in last week or so.

everything is stock on the truck minus whats in my signature. i thought the programmer had something to do with when it was on tow mode. so i took the programmer off. still does it. lp pressure is 9.5 at idle.

the only thing i dont like about capping the rail is possibly cracking a injector. dont know if it would or not.

I got a customer with a stock 03 (it has an after market lift pump) that is doing the same thing. The truck is coming in on Saturday and I am going install another cp3 due to the fact that I tried another rp sensor and and relief valve and the rp is slow in responding when you go from light-pedal to pedal-on-the-floor and the only time it "pops" is under hard acceleration. I will leave you know what I find but at this point I am certain it's the pump.

anybody know what a relief valve cost from dodge? just curious.

probably going to get the cap from dr performance.

It's rediculous. Like 300 bucks. You can crack open your rv, start the truck, if it leaks it's bad. I won't be suprised if it doesent fix your problem though. I think you have a blown head gasket.

Back