Porsche conversion

inline6359

Microwaving cats since 01
Well it seems we cannot keep an engine in my parents 85 porsche 944. I was thinking of putting a perkins, or cummins 4 cyl in it. Just an idea, car has sentemental value, so it is not going anywhere. My concern is with a 100hp diesel, will the tranny handle it? The stock engine is rated for 160bhp.

Just a feeler, once i get dementions i will have a poll of the engine to put in. Height may be another issue. we will see.

:bow: I am thinking a ls1 vett engine will fit nice, and there are people who have done it.

If you want to go with a Diesel...

There are guys with IDI Mercedes inline Diesels that scream. Most all of those guys are European... But Mercedes makes some tanks of engines that are as strong as the Cummins. And I don't think they're hard to find for cheap out of junkyards.

Base the transmission's strength on whatever amount of torque the original engine produced. You're probably going to exceed the torque value considerably, but you'll probably be cheaper or eaisier going with a different transmission altogether than finding or fabricating a custom bellhousing anyways...

Stock tranny and trans axle can handle almost 500 hp and 500ftlbs of tq with just a clutch upgrade. It is a 5spd.

I am awaiting membership approval on a porschehybrids.com, there is a guy on there that makes bellhousings to link my tranny to a ls1 engine. I am thinking of going with a 340hp or a 383hp 350, throwing a cam, and injectors at it to get close to 450 and let her eat.

So far all that is involved is getting a clutch, oil pan, bellhousing, relocating the oil filter, engine mounts and cooling. Pretty basic setup with everything being bolt up parts.

Somebody did this and their car weighed 2750, so i am hoping to run low 12's.:rockwoot: