Porting and Polishing pics

luke h

I started porting on my head recently and spent a few hours getting one intake and one exhaust done. let me know what you think and what needs improved. I plan on some more smoothing on the intake bowl but let me know What works

Non Ported Intake and Exhaust
nonprted_IE_small.jpg

Ported Intake and Exhaust
ported_IE_2_small.jpg

Ported Exhaust Bowl
ported_exhaust_2_small.jpg

Another Exhaust
ported_exhaust_small.jpg

Exhaust runner
ported_E_runner_2_Small.jpg

Another runner
ported_E_runner_small.jpg

Gasket Match
gasket_match_Small.jpg

Would have posted smaller pictures but couldnt figure out how!

:bang

Does porting and polishing help with air flow? Looks great man!

Also, what is the difference between porting and polishing?

Sorry for the thread hi-jack.

Porting is making the passages slightly bigger and polishing them just cleans them up for more flow. Anything you can do to make the air get in and get out of an engine more efficiently will help with power. You can and will make more power with less boost due to these efficiencies...

and that rocks!!! :rockwoot:

Good job...:clap:

Porting

Im going to do some more work on the head today and ill use a marker to show the places I removed material and take more pics. Im going to do a little more work to the next cylnder so I can see the results on a flow bench and compare them all to stock. Then finally im going to match all the cylinders on the flow bench. Thanks for the replys!

luke h said:
Im going to do some more work on the head today and ill use a marker to show the places I removed material and take more pics. Im going to do a little more work to the next cylnder so I can see the results on a flow bench and compare them all to stock. Then finally im going to match all the cylinders on the flow bench. Thanks for the replys!

Where you able to port the complete runner on the intakes? On my 24v I needed to take off the air plenum to do so. (Ported but still need to final polish)

Attachments

• head intake on.JPG
    head intake on.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 492
  • intake off.JPG
    intake off.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 503
teddybear said:
Did u just have the intake plenum cut off?

Yes I cut if off, then I dropped the head off to Source Automotive to magnaflux the head and they did most the port work. I made a spacer so that after welding the plenum back on it will have grown an additional 1/8" off of the head. Then Source Automotive is going to resurface the head and re-oring it. If I knew someone locally with a flow bench I would have that done as well. I did use an endmill to machine out some significant flow ristrictions to cylinders #5 & 6.

Opie said:
Yes I cut if off, then I dropped the head off to Source Automotive to magnaflux the head and they did most the port work. I made a spacer so that after welding the plenum back on it will have grown an additional 1/8" off of the head. Then Source Automotive is going to resurface the head and re-oring it. If I knew someone locally with a flow bench I would have that done as well. I did use an endmill to machine out some significant flow ristrictions to cylinders #5 & 6.
sounds/looks good opie, maybe we will see a porting side of IE?

DIESEL POWER said:
sounds/looks good opie, maybe we will see a porting side of IE?

Actually I am happy with using Source Automotive for porting / rebuilding the head. My motor rebuild has been a side hobby thing and most everything in the motor has been massaged. Pretty sure that tranny parts will stay the main focus of IE.

Intake plenum

No i didnt cut off the plenum as this is my old head that I plan on selling or cutting into pieces once I port a couple of the cylinders. Theres nothing wrong with it im just going to go to an o-ringed block and will need a flat head. When I buy the new blank I may have the plenum machined off since theres no possible way to port the intake runners with it on.

So your going to weld the old plenum back on? Why not go with a bolt up? If you ever get to a flow bench be sure and let me know, I really wonder what gains can be had by fully porting the intake runners vs just doing bowl work.

Thanks Brandon!

Last edited:
luke h said:
No i didnt cut off the plenum as this is my old head that I plan on selling or cutting into pieces once I port a couple of the cylinders. Theres nothing wrong with it im just going to go to an o-ringed block and will need a flat head. When I buy the new blank I may have the plenum machined off since theres no possible way to port the intake runners with it on.

So your going to weld the old plenum back on? Why not go with a bolt up? If you ever get to a flow bench be sure and let me know, I really wonder what gains can be had by fully porting the intake runners vs just doing bowl work.

Thanks Brandon!

I guess my answer would have to be its cheaper, I trust the seal more and it is much faster/easier way to do it.

Here are a few pictures of the work Greg Young or ZZ is doing

Attachments

• 12 valve port.jpg
    12 valve port.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 469
  • 12 valve port2.jpg
    12 valve port2.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 449
  • 12v_manifold_2.jpg
    12v_manifold_2.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 460
  • 12v_manifold_3.jpg
    12v_manifold_3.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 384
I'd love to have something like that Greg...but I also like a roof over my head. LOL It's definitely not in the budget.

Weld on intake

Opie,
Im no welding expert so what kind of weld would it take to weld the cast iron back together. If its not much of a difference I may go that route instead of the bolt on.

I took alot more pics today and last night and will write a how-to on porting and polishing a 12 valve in that section. Stay tuned....

luke h said:
Opie,
Im no welding expert so what kind of weld would it take to weld the cast iron back together. If its not much of a difference I may go that route instead of the bolt on.

I took alot more pics today and last night and will write a how-to on porting and polishing a 12 valve in that section. Stay tuned....

A few years ago I too had plans of making entire intake plenums. They where one piece design and took way too much CNC time to produce. Anyhow the reason I bring this up is I had to make sure the new cast material would weld to the head. I utilized a welding instructor at a local community college. He did three diffrent types of cast iron welds and they all came out good. So I would recommend you to go with a welder that does/understands cast iron welding. Some types of cast iron does not weld very well but that is not so with type utilized to make our heads.

Weld

Opie thank you for that information! Whats the best way to cut the intake off? band saw?
Luke