Porting??

In case you missed the post quoted above yours.....

I don't see a valid reason for any of this much less a sidedraft intake on a hotshotter truck.......

You are missing the point. I am looking for efficiency and power under the curve not peak power. I know the argument has been made numerous times that there is no point in porting. It is cheaper to makeup for it with turbos, and don't waste you money on a cam because the stock cam has made more power. I know my application is not what this site is about, but I posted here because of the knowledge. People here have spent the money to try things or know someone who has. I hoped while what I am doing is not your thing it might still bring up something interesting to others.

Not exactly.

A true IR sidedraft intake (not a billet bathtub plenum) has it's greatest gains at NA/low boost operation outside of higher-RPM wave tuning (IVC must reflect this).

An efficient intake for working trucks runs ~ $1200, while induction harmonic capability adds ~ $1K... both passive intake approaches compare quite favorably to twin kits.

The 6.7L is actually the best flowing CR (according to the SuperFlow bench), but as stated previously best bang for the buck is in the bowl/SSR... distancing the pinch point away from the seat is key.

I'd be the first to recommend either leaving a truck stock and enjoy the severe-duty maintenance schedule, or take a Ben Franklin & flush it down the crapper... if doesn't bother you to watch it circling the drain, your truck will likely end up on a magazine cover.

I guess i should have specified... I meant from 06' (5.9) down....

You're never going to get your "money's worth" out of a fancy ported head on a hard working towing mule. Ported heads have a much shorter life span than a good stock head. I think a ported extreme "side-draft" head will be toast long before it pays for itself.

Your best bet is to leave the whole thing stock, sell it, and buy a well cared for low mileage 97' Ram 3500 Dually with a 5 speed manual. Drop a few K making the steering bullet-proof, upgrade the clutch, install a small set of twins, install a small set of injectors and you'd have a 750,000 mile hot shot rig that's more reliable than anything out there you can buy. Get a bad load of fuel somewhere,..... no problem, it will just cough a sputter a little till you spike it with a quart or two of motor oil.

Get a bad batch of fuel in a new common rail...... call the two truck..... shell out 3K for new injectors..... repeat in 2 years when it happens again.

This is all just an opinion.....

COMPLETELY AGREE! :bow:

Been waiting (not patiently) for 2 days for a guy to come trade in a 97 3500 5spd on a 05 3500 6spd my buddy has so I can go snatch it up he was supposed to be there Monday. :bang I miss driving a 12V!!

A little port work can't hurt anything and will help but doing a side draft is completely unnecessary.

You're never going to get your "money's worth" out of a fancy ported head on a hard working towing mule. Ported heads have a much shorter life span than a good stock head. I think a ported extreme "side-draft" head will be toast long before it pays for itself.

Your best bet is to leave the whole thing stock, sell it, and buy a well cared for low mileage 97' Ram 3500 Dually with a 5 speed manual. Drop a few K making the steering bullet-proof, upgrade the clutch, install a small set of twins, install a small set of injectors and you'd have a 750,000 mile hot shot rig that's more reliable than anything out there you can buy. Get a bad load of fuel somewhere,..... no problem, it will just cough a sputter a little till you spike it with a quart or two of motor oil.

Get a bad batch of fuel in a new common rail...... call the two truck..... shell out 3K for new injectors..... repeat in 2 years when it happens again.

And im stupid for swapping a 12 valve in a 3rd gen???? :kick:

I agree with big blue, unless you have a full 12 valve setup like i do and a salvage title 3rd gen, your best bet would to be to "downgrade" to an older truck.

I would love to have a 97' 12V 5 speed as mentioned above. Can't even find a 12v for sale around here, much less that year.

Seems to me you would get the results you are looking for with a "spool aid" kit and a Hamilton 181/210 cam. $.02

leave it alone before you have to pay a tow truck to hotshot your parts.

Back