Power and Smoke?

You folks have gotten so technical, I ain't got a clue what the hell you saying.

Smokem said:
Does anyone know the expected cetane rating of the new 15PPM Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel? Still testing, but I need to go one step farther with this.

I think it's 40..... but don't hold me to it. A little lower than what we "were" running. :(

jponder said:
Heat is the thing right? Whole reason that piston is forced down is heat expanding the gas. You can make more pressure in the combustion chamber by more heat or you can ram more air in by making it colder, ie Nitrous. You have limits in that there is only so much pressure you can make and so much heat before stuff starts melting

Hey, you know I'm pull'n you're legg Mr. Painthours. LOL

Smokem said:
So you would need to raise the cetane rating by 10 points to reach it's peak atomization level.

No, don't think so. Then again, you may be right? We need some REAL pencil pusher here to help us. :doh:

The closer to crud oil you get, the higher the BTUs go. The BTUs make the power thus less fuel used to make a specific hp and you get better fuel milage too. Make it flow easier though (big problem with out cutting it serverly). Thiner is better in this case (a lower specific gravity). Injects for the high pressure CR systems need more flow with out compromising the atomization. There is a way to increase the flow with out decreasing the atomization from opening the holes to a larger dia or increasing the amount of holes (hole sizes get closer inside and from the inferno of cumbustion as well as the pressure from the fuel and the needle slaming down the tips can start cracking inside and break off). There is a solution though which is being worked on. As far as speeding up the CP3, you will wear it out much faster, plus you can also float the piston cups inside from to much speed in which get tiddly winked out of it. Been there done that. There is no replacement for the shear volume the twin pumps can put out compared to a single. 1 moded one will never keep up to 2 moded ones and they (2 moded ones) will never keep up to 3 moded ones when the time comes. The injects can be made to flow enough with the proper atomization. I'm all over that right now.

:lolly: Go Man ...........GO!

don't forget your eraser. ;)

The new fuel may crack a little better than what we have now and that could make a world of difference.

What about usen a little bit of Nitro fuel from the R/C world , say like 10% nitro mixed , i dont know all the additives in it but its pretty oily , the engine works like a diesel usen the old glow plug to fire then combustion to keep it running , i was wondering if the nitro would blend with the diesel , i know some R/C cars have run on BIO

RC fuel is only 45 or so a gallon. That's not too bad... LOL

brandon.

10% is about 20+ around here a gallon but if a few ounces help then on the track it might not b too bad , shoot i might try a little to c

........as for the track (yes, flame suit on) I think that the "racing fuel" should come out of ONE tank and not BYOD.:stab:

hippie said:
It isn't the molecular bonds you have to break. You have to interfere with the surface tension of the fuel droplets to get the fuel to evaporate quicker; the faster it evaporates, the faster it burns. 2 ounces of acetone per 10 gallons (1280 oz.) of fuel seems to do this quite nicely. 5,000 miles now and I'm still getting better and smoother power from my ancient injectors. I can only imagine what it'd be like with newl freshened injectors.

Of course, trying something so radical (even though it's only 0.15% concentration) isn't for the faint of heart. :D

Another 1,000 miles and no fuel system failures as yet. I've gone through at least 3 quarts of acetone.

One thing I've noticed is that the 'smoothness' of the engine isn't consistent. I don't know if this is from the injectors falling further out of spec, or if acetone interacts with ULSD differently. Hauling the DHRA trailer from IN to TX, to MN and back to IN, the engine would sometimes purr real smooth, and sometime it would be its ratty-sounding old self. And this week hauling a UHaul from VA to South Bend and back, it kind-of did the same thing.

Unloaded, I'll typically run 300 miles to 1/2 on the fuel gauge, which is around 18.5 MPG. With acetone, I can get an extra 30 miles or so. Laden, I get 260-300 miles with acetone. But with ULSD and laden, I'm lucky to reach 250 miles to 1/2 tank. And it seems to smoke more.

Methinks I need to freshen the injectors before continuing my acetone research.

N

Smokem said:
The ideal cetane rating for diesel fuel is 50, anything higher does not add to the BTU content or have any real beneficial characteristics. So if the new fuel has a cetane rating of 40, then you would need to increase the rating by 10 points to make it most beneficial. So using Alkyl Nitrates and Di-tert-butyl Peroxides in the correct percentages will raise the cetane rating to the desired level. This coupled with fuel conditioners and small percentages of Propanone will allow the fuel to have a lighter density, lower flash point, and still retain the characteristics of high quality diesel fuel ie: lubricity and cetane rating. I am striving to become a novice pencil pusher as we speak.

So, ideal cetane is 50. What are the operating characteristics of the diesel engine for that cetane (RPM, injection timing, et al)? I thought cetane was a measure of the ignitability of the fuel. For most 'ordinary' diesel engines, I would expect 50 cetane would work real well. But what about a diesel engine running 6000-8000 RPM (or more)? Wouldn't the fuel need to be much more ignitable to get decent power at those speeds without needing 90 degree injection timing?

Back