Power Receipts

hpprose

In the Dark
I’m working with Jim Jones on an 02 Duramax. Here is the power receipt we are thinking. Our goal is 850 to 1000.

Heat treated the crank
Carrillo rods
Ross Pistons.
I don’t know who to use for heads. SoCal does an incredible job but I have heard great things from RayMac. Anyone have any recommendations?
PPE Dual Fueler
Competition Cams or Greg Hogue’s MaxSpool
40% over injectors
Power Tips Exhaust manifold
B-D Power drivers side high flow manifold Turbo
High Tech Turbo HTB2 66SS with 71cm drive wheel Exhaust
Nitrous Express Dry System
Custom Tuning from Quadzilla

you're going to make 1000rwhp on a HTB2????

I had no idea RayMac has been doing duramax heads... SoCal diesel is the only proven dmax head mfg, I would only buy from him.

verdict is still out on pistons. Forged are not the answer for a daily driver, not sure if its going to be strictly competition or what..

just my oppinion..

For the turbo you'd be better off going with a GT4202R, or Nasty Girl sized twins from nathan wright, if its not gonna be daily driven, I believe Guy Tripp does a modification to the Ross Pistons to make then last. Eric Merchant has had forged in his daily driver for a while.

hpprose said:
I’m working with Jim Jones on an 02 Duramax. Here is the power receipt we are thinking. Our goal is 850 to 1000.

Heat treated the crank Stock should be fine
Carrillo rods Carrillo are nice but heavy. Crower and R&R are lighter which means no heavy metal in the crank. As far as I know no one has hurt a aftermarket rod yet
Ross Pistons. I have been hearing some things about them I dont like. Call Guy at Socal for the skinny.
I don’t know who to use for heads. SoCal does an incredible job but I have heard great things from RayMac. Anyone have any recommendations? With out a doubt Socal!!:bow:
PPE Dual Fueler ATS, Hellafsat and Crank It Up all have proven kits to. Price may vary
Competition Cams or Greg Hogue’s MaxSpool Socal or EEP. I had very bad luck with Comp. cams in my gasshole racing days. Also their Dmax replacement cams they say need no extra valve clearencing cams do need clearence. Both EEP and Socal address the cam pin issue .
40% over injectors I am still up in the air on injectors myself. I was all for F1 Fusion 3s and am now leaning torward 40% honed from Crank It Up Diesel
Power Tips Exhaust manifold ???
B-D Power drivers side high flow manifold Turbo
Nitrous Express Dry System
Custom Tuning from Quadzilla

Socal diesel has Main stud side kits, Head stud kits, And injector hold downs from ARP. I also reccomend his push rods. Caution phone calls to Guy usaully cause bank account tramua!:hehe: Guy's service is second to none IMHO.

partsguy662 Can get you the bearings and rings you will need at a good price and ship them to your door. Just watch out for the special package sealant. Still not sure what is up with that.:hehe:

For a single I would go GT42.

For twins I would talk to Idaho CTD. I have nothing but awesome things about his setups.

Which Jim Jones is this? The ProGas racer from Colorado?

I wouldn't mess with the crank unless your planning on a regrind. Some new mains will be better. SoCal for heads, cam, push rods, injectior hold down and studs hands down. Which pumps and why 40% injects? I matched my injects to my pressure increase to maintain proper atomization ;). It will take a healthy N2O shot to get it to 850hp with that turbo and a bottle per run to get it to 1000hp (and if you do, you better have a few built trans standing by till we get a few other thing sorted out).

Last edited:
We have the transmission handled. Diesel Depot built it to hold 1,000 hp and we have a Suncoast Velocity Triple Loc converter in front of it.

The Jim Jones I'm referring to is out of Emory, TX. He owned Performance Diesel and runs high 11's in the 1/4 with his 02 Duramax extended cab long bed 4x4. The last dyno event I know of, he laid down 730hp with a big shot of Nitrous.

Ok, so let me say upfront, I'm a Ford guy and I don't know a whole lot about the Duramax's.

Has anyone used RayMac for Duramax heads? Sounds like I'm an idiot if I don't use SoCal.

What's wrong with the HTB2?

I don't know what the Power Tips Exhaust Manifold is either. That's something that Jim said he has already.

The built Dmax is a fairly new adventure.

If you call me Monday at 951 270 0808, I will tell you what we are doing with our second engine.

Your biggest challenges are going to transmission and pistons. These give folk the greatest trouble when playing with over 750HP.

hpprose said:
Geez- thats over two foot wide! Might be overkill for 1000 hp :hehe: Oh mm? Then too small =\

hpprose said:
We have the transmission handled. Diesel Depot built it to hold 1,000 hp .

what exactly did they do to the trans?

How do they know its going to hold 1000hp? What is their history with doing allison stuff?

Im not trying to be an ass, but here is a company who (as far as I can tell) has little allison experience, and now they are coming out and claiming its built for 1000 hp.

The only trans that is "built for 1000hp" is the only trans that has actually SEEN 1000hp, and that is the ATS Extreme.

just my oppinion :)

ben

RayMac can do anything. I think we've done a little R&D on the Duramax head. But even if I'm mistaken, that doesn't mean we can't do it. The bonus to the Powerstroke and Duramax heads is that the intake isn't in the way like on a Cummins. Give me a call at the shop Chad and we'll chat about it.

Ph4tty said:
Geez- thats over two foot wide! Might be overkill for 1000 hp :hehe: Oh mm? Then too small =\

Thanks for pointing out my mistake. I guess cm would be awesome if you could spool it.

Yeah, mm

Do you know what the air to fuel ratio should be to make them run good?

duratothemax said:
what exactly did they do to the trans?

How do they know its going to hold 1000hp? What is their history with doing allison stuff?

Im not trying to be an ass, but here is a company who (as far as I can tell) has little allison experience, and now they are coming out and claiming its built for 1000 hp.

The only trans that is "built for 1000hp" is the only trans that has actually SEEN 1000hp, and that is the ATS Extreme.

just my oppinion :)

ben

I know they do a ton of valve body work, jack up the pressures and change a whole bunch of crap. Outside of that, since it isn't my truck, I don't know. The trans in the truck now was build to 800 and has held 730 with no problem. Jim really likes the guys up there and is pretty impressed by their quality.

crewgirl said:
RayMac can do anything. I think we've done a little R&D on the Duramax head. But even if I'm mistaken, that doesn't mean we can't do it. The bonus to the Powerstroke and Duramax heads is that the intake isn't in the way like on a Cummins. Give me a call at the shop Chad and we'll chat about it.

Hey Anna,

I will give you a call either Monday or Tuesday. I have to turn in a story for Diesel Power that I have been working on for a month and just ran into another problem. So, I need to get that problem fixed, turn in the story and then I will give you a call.

duratothemax said:
and Buck's blows up every 2 passes.

And you mean what? :doh: You mean that Buck shatters them without 1,000 HP? If that's the case....the ATS doesn't hold either. When you bust 850 RWHP on a built Allison you're living on borrowed time, IMHO.

the ats trannys are not living as long as the suncoast tranys

Yeah, I don't know. This isn't my truck and I don't really understand everything. I'm a Ford person and I know a little about the Cummin's engine. But the Chevy stuff is completely furan to me.

I know that Jim trusts in Diesel Depo and what they do. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, he just became a dealer for them. That tells me they seem to know what they are doing. That being said, I don't know what trucks are running them and what trucks aren't.

I strongly suggest if you are going to try to attempt to reach the 1000 HP mark with a Dmax be sure you have your ducks in a row! It is a very expensive road to drive down but achievable! Your biggest issues will be pistons and Trans as allready pointed out. The trans can be built to withstand the big power and torque but do not expect it to live long. Merchant Auto in conjuction with MikeL have built what "I" have seen to be the best trans so far at this level. We recently had some new issues at this level but have them ironed out. Good luck!

Ben you are right the ATS has seen 1000 HP but.........it's not the only trans to see it! ;)

Last edited:
We are using Ross Pistons and having them anodized. Any recomendations on compression ratio?