power steering and brake hook up ???

hyper14h

red around the neck
doing most of the final touches on my 12v swap into a 97 chevy. i was wondering how most of you are doing it do you use the 6.5 power steering pump or the 12v booster or is there away to use the 12v pump and the chevy hydrolic booster i wasnt paying that close of attention to it when i pulled the motor now the motor is sold and the power steering pump is with it now i have more lines on the truck than i do my motor.

I used the 12v pump with the Dodge hardline off of it and mated it to the the truck high pressure line and then the other 2 are returns, 1 from the hydro boost and the other is from the ps box.

I used the 12v pump with the Dodge hardline off of it and mated it to the the truck high pressure line and then the other 2 are returns, 1 from the hydro boost and the other is from the ps box.

I had to get 1 line made, I'd have to look which one. I think Mo Smoke nailed it. I originally T'd my return but it wasn't working, so I had another return brazed onto the reservoir on the pump.

Lemme go look...

Okay:
High pressure line from pump to passenger side of the hydroboost (this is the one I got made at a semi truck shop), then high pressure line from the drivers side of the hydroboost to the steering box.
Like I said I wound up running 2 returns to the pump because 1 wasn't flowing enough.

k thats what i was thinking but i figured i would ask i didnt want to have power steering fluid blowing in my face lol thanks guys

A pump from a 98 12valve has 2 returns. I am currently running one return with a T fitting The pressure line I cut the steel part and connected to the other side with a compression fitting. Rich

doing most of the final touches on my 12v swap into a 97 chevy. i was wondering how most of you are doing it do you use the 6.5 power steering pump or the 12v booster or is there away to use the 12v pump and the chevy hydrolic booster i wasnt paying that close of attention to it when i pulled the motor now the motor is sold and the power steering pump is with it now i have more lines on the truck than i do my motor.

All you need to do is get a GM tin can reservoir from a 6.2 diesel .

tin can resevoir for a 6.2 ??? please explain more my brother has a 6.2 but if i remember right it has a normal reservoir like an old 350 or will one of them work 2 ? o i have a 95 12v motor

If you want to change the reservoir you can use a Astro van one it has a remote chamber that can be mounted in a better location for filling and two return lines. Rich

tin can resevoir for a 6.2 ??? please explain more my brother has a 6.2 but if i remember right it has a normal reservoir like an old 350 or will one of them work 2 ? o i have a 95 12v motor

The 1991 GMC V3500 6.2 with hydroboost has the 2 returns ,some have the remote tube and and some don't .The G series full size vans have them as well .

i just used the 12v vac/ps pump and all my lines went right too it. same fittings and all no need to switch.

might have to find a chiltons manual but all the lines that were with the gm hydroboost will match up with the cummins pump. at least it did with mine when i did my swap you shouldnt have any extra lines or short any. should have three on the pump i believe three on the gear box and three or four on the master cylinder they all used.

I used a hydroboost pump off of a 98 12v and ditched the 96 powersteering pump. I thought about going with the powersteering pump but the hyrdoboost pumps are plentiful, apparently the seals fail or somthing and they leak oil. So new seals and mated it to the vaccum pump had like $80 invested in it. I just figured too that the hydroboost pump might have more hydraulic pressure than the powersteering pump. We all know how hard it is to turn and brake at the same time with the hydroboost systems so I didnt wanna tax the pump anymore than I had too. BTW the dodge power steering or hydroboost pumps have the same thread as the Chevy lines. Its either 16 x 1.5" or 18 x 1.5" I'm not sure which one off the top of my head. Since the hoses are rubber hydraulic lines you can just loop the line and thread it right into the pump.

i'd the same thing outlaw did. cuz 97 and up are hydro boost on the dodges. but since mine was a 98 motor it already had the second return. if it was 6.5l then you have to use the adapter/solenoid on the back of the pump so the chevy lines will fit right o.

Joe