Power steering question

chopper

My power steering pump started making all kins of noise last week. It also came through the brake pedel. When I hit the brakes it became louder. I put some stop leak in it ( the cheap kind they were out of Lucas). It stopped making noise and steered good and the brake noise went away too. This week its doing it again. I went and got some Lucas and went to fill it thinking i got a leak. I started filling it and it wasnt that low? Is the brakes and the power steering connected in some way? Is it like Hydro assist? Any help would be great.. Is the power steering pumpa need to replace item?

Bleeding hydro assist brakes

The brakes on a 97 should be hydro assist meaning there is no vacuum booster behind the master cylinder. There will be lines from the steering pump to the back of the master cylinder for the hydro assist. It does sound like your pump is dying. One thing to try before replacing is to bleed the system. If you pump was low the first time you may have gotten air in the system. This can be hard sometimes to get bled. The best way is to remove the pitman arm from the steering box or the tierod from the pitman (this can be very helpful and more efficient). That way you have full stroke in the steering box. Fire the truck with the steering fluid full and allow it to run for a few seconds up to a minute then shut off. Pump the brake pedal 3 to 5 times minimum. You will feel the power assist going away. After that I turn the wheel SLOWLY from lock to lock twice. Then refire the truck, pump the brakes once or twice and turn lock to lock once. Shut the truck off, Check the fluid and repeat. I know some guys that did this process for an hour until they stopped getting bubbles in the fluid. Another way you may be able to tell if is bled correctly is the brake booster lines at the master will get super hot, that means there is still air in the system. Every one that has done this has there own way, this has worked for me time and time over.

Thanks Bleeder! I will have to try it tomorrow. Are the pumps a typical thing to go away after some miles? I almost have 200k.

What was the temperature outside when it was making all that noise? Mine has only done it when its really cold out. Just curious