PPE GT40R initial Dyno - 670.8rwhp 1415tq

Kat

Married to Mr Big Mouth
This was done with the PPE Dual Fueler on Casper with EFILive tuning at Westech Performance. The power curve is as flat as a 10 year old boy. From 2300 to 3400 it looks like a straight line.

While this charger is aimed at the daily driver towing market, it can be used to generate good HP.

Peak boost occurred at 2300 RPM at 43.3 PSI. Torque peak at 2300 as well. HP peak at 2600-2900, but the curve is flat.

gt40dynoa.JPG

So a 63.5mm inducer, ball-bearing turbo? Does it retain the stock water cooling lines? Which turbine housing A/R? 0.85, 0.95, 1.06, 1.19? Does it surge much on the street? How hard is it to keep lit? Congrats!!

brandon.

Ball bearing, water-cooled (like the OEM charger).

Right now, the specs on it are still under research. We are going to "play" with it a bit more to see if we can squeak out some more power.

I was hoping they would share the uncorrected #'s or the CF.

McRat said:
Ball bearing, water-cooled (like the OEM charger).

Right now, the specs on it are still under research. We are going to "play" with it a bit more to see if we can squeak out some more power.
How about the last 2 questions: streetablility and surging?

brnadon.

Streetibility is good, I still need to do tow testing to find out if it will surge. It does not surge unladen.

As far as correction? The dyno I use is the one Diesel Power magazine and most the western-based car magazines use, Westech Performance in Miraloma CA (www.westechperformance.com). They do all testing STD correction. Air was 61-65 deg, and physical altitude was 1100', so I doubt the correct factor was very much, and may have actually lowered the readings.

Basically what this test says, is that you can make great HP with the GT40R. It is not intended to set records, but to be a good daily driver charger yet capable of high performance as well.

That is one flat curve Pat. Way to go man!

Cool! Those are great numbers! It's actually what I was expecting out of the BD 'chargers when they came out, only to leave me disappointed.

bnraond.

Actually a GT4088R is mapped for approx. 68lb/min by Garrett, and the BD is mapped about 80. So I assume this is a 40-42 hybrid like ATP Turbo's (94mm wheel). I'm not sure what that hybrid will map out at.
Another thing (I'm sure it's been discussed at length and might be considered off-topic, sorry) but I've always been under the impression that STP correction was for Standard Temperature and Pressure into the intake manifold (273K & 1 atm) and hence not directly applicable to turbocharged vehicles. Can anyone shed light on this for me? I've always thought STP numbers looked high on diesels.

Yes, correction is a sticky issue. It can either increase or decrease HP readings. I don't know what the specific correction factor was, but it was 61-65 deg, and 1100' physical altitude, so I'd be surprised if the correction was large.

At roughly this STP horsepower reading, this truck went 11.85 @ 115.x at 3600' DA with 6500lb, so the numbers aren't too far off.

This was not a 94 wheel, and oddly enough, a Dmax consumes about 55lb/min peak BONE STOCK at 21psi. Testing on the BD did not show much of a gain over the stock LLY charger. Whether it supports 80lb or not, is debateable.

OK, the only track we had available was LACR, which is 2710' ASL. Baro was 27.01, air 59deg, DA = 3600.

It would only make 39PSI boost at peak, but still ran 11.91 @ 112. Raceweight at 6500lb. This tends to back up the dyno numbers for the GT40R.

I towed 6000lb back and forth to the dragstrip up through the mountains. Mileage was 14.5mpg, max EGT was 1200. At 70mph up a 6% grade we saw 9 psi and 1100 deg. At this weight, the turbo worked very well indeed.

The GT40R was easier to launch than a stock charger. Seriously. It would hold 2300rpm and not walk through the brakes at 14psi. Track was not prepped well, but it still got a spinning 1.69 60' time.

The HTT carries it power past 3200rpm better, but for an "all-around" charger the GT40R certainly is not deficient in any area that I can tell. Racing, towing, mileage, EGT's, response, seems everything is good.

bv19 said:
I was hoping they would share the uncorrected #'s or the CF.

Comparing to DynoJet numbers that are uncorrected the SuperFlow in Cali reads higher.

626 HP on the superflow went to 585 on a DynoJet
586 Hp on the superflow went to 504 on a DynoJet

Both Dodge/Cummins.

Don M said:
Comparing to DynoJet numbers that are uncorrected the SuperFlow in Cali reads higher.

626 HP on the superflow went to 585 on a DynoJet
586 Hp on the superflow went to 504 on a DynoJet

Both Dodge/Cummins.

Yes, and comparing ET's has exactly the same problem. We always get a kick when out-of-state guys visit us, run a pass, scratch their heads. "Uh, my truck must be busted!!! It runs a second quicker at home!!!" During the Diesel Power Magazine West Shootout, all the "11 second" Dodges from up North were running 13's and 14's. OPPSS!!

Nope. Certain folk like to convince you that air density has no effect on turbo diesels at all. These are guys who do not race their trucks much. As soon as they start traveling to different states and running, they find out that while DA does not hit us as hard in diesels, it still hits us pretty good. Casper lost 3 mph last night because of the thin air. The Corvette it towed lost 6-8mph.

So all the low-landers will scream UNCORRECTED OR IT'S LIES!!! This is just because they live in a very small world with very dense air.

Will you be happier if I do a dynojet? You won't mind if I wait until I find a sea level dynojet and cold weather right? I figure I might make 680. Negative DA is your friend. We've picked up 18rwhp on the Vette using "uncorrected" numbers in > 30.00" 20% 50 deg weather. I would never think of posting the "uncorrected" values though, because I know better.

Last edited:
McRat said:
Yes, and comparing ET's has exactly the same problem. We always get a kick when out-of-state guys visit us, run a pass, scratch their heads. "Uh, my truck must be busted!!! It runs a second quicker at home!!!" During the Diesel Power Magazine West Shootout, all the "11 second" Dodges from up North were running 13's and 14's. OPPSS!!

Nope. Certain folk like to convince you that air density has no effect on turbo diesels at all. These are guys who do not race their trucks much. As soon as they start traveling to different states and running, they find out that while DA does not hit us as hard in diesels, it still hits us pretty good. Casper lost 3 mph last night because of the thin air. The Corvette it towed lost 6-8mph.

So all the low-landers will scream UNCORRECTED OR IT'S LIES!!! This is just because they live in a very small world with very dense air.

Will you be happier if I do a dynojet? You won't mind if I wait until I find a sea level dynojet and cold weather right? I figure I might make 680. Negative DA is your friend. We've picked up 18rwhp on the Vette using "uncorrected" numbers in > 30.00" 20% 50 deg weather. I would never think of posting the "uncorrected" values though, because I know better.

I did not say one was better than the other, more accurate than the other, or closer to what the ET/HP calculation would be. I simply said that the Superflow in Cali typically gives a higher number than the uncorrected DynoJet numbers. This is clear by the 16% difference in numbers from the SF to the DJ several guys have experienced from one to the other.

Since the DJ is the overwhelming choice in the country for dyno brand and it would be encountered more likely than others, I thought the information was relevant.

During the intense dyno work we have done over the years since 1999 we have found that some of the CF is valid and even posted to this in the past. Even on TurboDiesels. Depending on the CF used. Be it: SAE J-1349, DIN, EEC, or JIS all used by DynoJet or the STP factor you are using on the superflow. The STP by the way is still a SAE correction factor, but it is more generous as I will show.

The DynoJet used SAE J-1349 corrects HP output to 77 degrees and a baro of 29.92.

The commonly referred to STP ( Standard, Temp and Air ) used often on the Superflow corrects HP to 60 degrees and a baro of 29.23. So any temp over 60 degrees compared to the 77 for SAE J-1349 get something added to that. Not withstanding the baro readings. 5% is roughly the average difference between the two factors on most engines.

Using the 5% and a few numbers shows how potentially different the two numbers can be:

Lets take 500 HP, 600 HP and 700 HP for comparison using the average gain of 5% over the DJ SAE J-1349.

A 500 HP run on SAE DynoJet would be 525 on a STP dyno.
A 600 HP " " 630 on a STP dyno
A 700 HP" " 735 on a STP dyno

Clearly you get an advantage as the temps go up to 80 degrees on the STP dyno. A full 20 degrees over the STP "standard" air temp they compare for VS 3 degrees of factor for the SAE J-1349 Dynojet

From there the politics can take over and I dont care personally what people want to use for a Dyno, a CF or a ET/HP comparison. But for averages and the shear poliferation of the DynoJet, I thought it to be the better standard to delete the CF, run uncorrected numbers on the DynoJet and consider my HP data conservative compared to some of the others.

Very well put Pat. I have a track up here that folks can test there theory on. (running #2 only of course). Then and only then they can say if it has no or little effect. I bet there will be NO takers.

Last edited:
I recall several high altitude runs @ 5000 feet. Had to drop injector size nealry 15% to run properly compared to sea level. Even an injector that worked well at 2000 feet was too big at 5000. Certainly, even turbo engines get the squeeze as elevation increases. Not nearly as bad as a NA engine compared though.