PRE-turbo water injection?

YOUNG GUNS15

Im AWESOME!!!!
k, just hooked up my one meth nozzle infront of the turbo and seems exactly the same as on the intake horn. was hoping that it would bring my turbo back into some efficiency. but so far i cant tell if its working or not? :poke:

has anyone else done this?

Thats a bad idea, it will erode your compressor wheel rapidly.

Bingo. The water droplets are acting like sand and will destroy that wheel in no time.

Make sure if u spray infront of the inlet spray it away from the wheel it will help dissapate the water.
Brandon

It will increase boost and clean the turbine, and it will aid cool down? Just don't spray to much.

they spray water on jet engines to increase thrust for take off. they're basically turbines of a different design.

Jets have a slightly lower RPM and have much bigger/stronger blades.

Pre turbo is for the dedicated pullers. I researched it, not worth replacing compressor wheels.

It will increase boost and clean the turbine, and it will aid cool down? Just don't spray to much.

they spray water on jet engines to increase thrust for take off. they're basically turbines of a different design.

he's talking about spraying water into the intake side of the turbo, not the turbine

it will quickly errode the compressor wheel, don't do it

Just think of it this way, compressor wheel is turning 50,000 plus RPM and ur spaying water on it. Bad idea

You can spray pre turbo but it's alot more involved than just putting a nozzle in there and going for it. If you get it figured out right it will spray close to the middle and roll out minimizing the impact of the water and also aids in sealing the clearance between the compressor and housing.

Pre-turbo water injection is effective if correctly implemented... otherwise, compressor wheel erosion is likely.

Micron-rated nozzle spraying onto the compressor's axis (discharge angle makes this less than ~7cm sq impaction zone), where blade speed is easily an order of magnitude less than tip speed... and the droplets travel along the surface of the blades, so erosion is a non-issue.

Water helps seal the tip/housing interface, which increases pumping efficiency - and acts as a heat sink to reduce expansion boost.

I know that some have tried it unsuccessfully - not sure how they designed the system, though.
I do know the above method has functioned well on a SBC's Garrett for ~10 years (compressor is still in great shape).

It does work well for interstage cooling as well, and I doubt methanol/ethanol loads would damage the compressor or housing.

I think your best bet for temp drop from water injection would be to spray just past the turbo, on the pipe to the intercooler, then that cooled air flows thorugh the cooler , further cooling. if worried about water pooling in the intercooler, dripp, tap a drain on the bottom, and service when needed.

i guess im going to be moving it back to the air horn! i did like that it will increase the turbo's efficiency but sounds like its a bad idea!!

Pre-turbo water injection is effective if correctly implemented... otherwise, compressor wheel erosion is likely.

Micron-rated nozzle spraying onto the compressor's axis (discharge angle makes this less than ~7cm sq impaction zone), where blade speed is easily an order of magnitude less than tip speed... and the droplets travel along the surface of the blades, so erosion is a non-issue.

Water helps seal the tip/housing interface, which increases pumping efficiency - and acts as a heat sink to reduce expansion boost.

I've never heard that explanation before, but it does explain the high-dollar pre-turbo setups I've seen before- cone sprayers very close to the center of the compressor wheel.

Think one of these nozzles a 1/4-1/8" from the compressor wheel would fit the bill? About the right spray angle? I want very little water flow at that point to keep from bogging down the turbo though?

IMG_1243.jpg

I got a handful of stock turbos to play with.

that looks like devilsown inner nozzle. course thats the only place ive seen em from anyway....

It's a McMaster-Carr special backed by 1000 PSI.

ACClutch.jpg

The smallest they have is a .010" orifice rated at 5.1 GPH at 1000 PSI, 7-65 microns (I imagine the higher the pressure the smaller the droplet?). Are those ratings similar to what has successfully been used before?

The radial play on my current turbo is getting pretty noticeable, any ideas on how to mount the nozzle inside the inducer housing? I think I'd need some kind of custom 45-RPM adapter-type-thing with the nozzle in the middle.

45rpminsert.jpg

Think there'd be a market for thin little plastic stand-offs that hold the nozzle direct-center in various-sized turbo inducers? Who do we know that makes cheap little plastic parts (besides CFM LOL)?

looks like it could break and damage the turbo, i wouldnt put a little plastic thing in my turbo....

Back