Prime oil pump after replacement?

thisguy65

How do you guys prime the oil pump? Just pour some oil in to the back side just to get the inside gears wet? I've read of using grease but would think that could cause a oil passage blockage.

I've always wondered this, and why you don't see oil accumulators on performance diesels. I plan on putting one on my project

couldn't you remove he hex bolt, spring and plunger in the oil cooler and pour oil down the hole? Wouldn't this go in to the oil pump?

Not looking to prime the motor it self just the correct way to go about install the oil pump.

Why worry about it? Put assembly lube in the oil pump and crank it. It will build pressure in a couple seconds

Why worry about it? Put assembly lube in the oil pump and crank it. It will build pressure in a couple seconds

Because I never done it, service manual just says fill the pump with oil. However oil will come out when installing so.

Don't want to screw anything up.

Ever watched those TV info-mercials where they poor the magic **** in and the drain then fluids? Those rely on two things:
1) the in-lines they use can be impaled and still run
2) the fluid film of the oil that WAS in the engine is enough to lubricate for quite a while when little or no load is applied.

Lube the pump up with some clean lube, put it together.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk