Priming and Weird idle problems

SMOKINU497

Hammer down!
Hello all -

I recently picked up a 94 12 valve auto for a daily driver to park the Duramax.

Yes I have used the search button be easy on me please. You guys here are very knowledgeable and the Cumminsforum... Well... You already know... Sucks.

I have been having a problem with my truck. I have two problems at the moment. Here is the first one - I took off my fuel heater and didn't put a smaller nut on there as I guess the 94's are different than the 97 for example fuel heater set up. Just cleaned the pre-screen and screwed the bottom part on without the allen bolt that holds the fuel heater in place. I did not fill it with fuel as I cannot get a way to fill it with fuel and put it back on. When I backed out of the shop the truck fired right up smooth what have you. Was letting the truck sit and idle. I revved it up got a sputter/pop and white smoke. The truck then died. I have been priming and priming and cranking and cranking. I let the fuel bleeder screw on top of the fuel send line to the pump bleed and I cannot get a legit stream of fuel to come out. Just bubbles and then nothing then some fuel and bubbles again. Here is where I need help...

Should I spray with Ether and crank it with foot to the floor?

Should I pressurize tank then start myself?

Should I undo the overflow valve or the return bolt on top of the filter housing and let it bleed until fuel comes out?

I usually crack the injector lines the first one and let it bleed and she'll start right up usually.

When I first got the truck the truck would be hard to start sometime and the bolts on top of the fuel filter housing were loose. I tightened them all and truck would always start up. Truck never had a problem starting after I fixed this. Until now that I have the fuel heater out.

I cannot get it started after I did this fuel heater delete as I thought it was causing a problem I'll get into in a minute.

Please do not bag on me I DID use the search button trust me.

I have used the search button and found that compressing the tank with air and having the injector lines open while someone cranks the truck over will help? But to make sure that fuel is coming out of the lines at the injectors or at the pump?

Second problem -

The truck at idle in park ever since I bought it will be smooth then the truck will vibrate almost like the truck is hesitating then smooth again then rough. Like an rpm shake. The truck idles around 750rpm. So smooth then shake then smooth again. If I put the truck in drive and cruise at 1100-1300 rpm or just in drive and brake stand on it at the same rpm the truck will shake and start to sputter no white smoke though just black. After 1400rpm the truck is smooth and runs awesome. What would cause this? Truck had been sitting for several months. The fuel sending unit is bad as well as the gauge does not work correctly. Truck sound likes this truck in the video when he first puts it in drive and then first brake stand the hesitation or sputter whatever you wanna call it. Truck has new injectors, new copper washer, new horseshoes wahsers, and I vacuumed and cleaned out the bores no leaks. Is this normal in the video? 12 valve cummins rollin coal- YouTube My truck sound just like it...

Sorry for the long post. You guys are awesome and I thank you for your time.

Crack the lines and pressurize the tank. And start bleeding process. Find a stick or broom handle to use on the fuel pump. This will take some time to get started, since you have alot of air in the system.

I would not use the ether, unless you can't get it started.