priming issue

kasey200

Sorry but i couldn't find what i was looking for with search.
My fuel return came undone and i didn't notice untill i ran out of fuel (had about 1/8 tank) and the motor died. It dumped all over the undercarrage and the highway in a short amount of time. Anyway, i can not get the pump to prime now. I've done this about 100 times but something is different this time. I have an airdog 150 so i cracked the ofv and turned the pump on and i have fuel flowing at this location. The problem is, i am not getting anything out of the delivery valves. It doesn't seem to be pumping at all. I'm wondering if there is anything internal in the p7100 that could have been damaged when it ran dry? The shut-off solenoid is functioning properly.

Thank you and happy 4th!!

is it coming up all the way though? it might be moving but not come up far enough to allow it to fuel.

Last edited:
unless a plunger or DV is stuck i am not sure. someone with a little more pump knowledge will have to chime in on that.

if you got a DV socket take one off and see if the plunger is even moving. try removing the solenoid and manually holding up the shut off lever and see what happens

Crack the feed line untill fuel come through I had mine do this to me on a filter change.

With airdog should be no need to crack anything turn the key on and it should self prime. Are you sure the airdog is coming on?

With airdog should be no need to crack anything turn the key on and it should self prime. Are you sure the airdog is coming on?

The injection pump is not priming. The airdog is flowing fuel very well. I cracked the OFV and have tons of fuel with the airdog turned on. When i turn the motor over there is nothing out of the DV's. It acts like the solenoid is not working but it is...

You can disconnect the solenoid and
manually operate the shutoff lever if need for troubleshooting.

Make sure it is pulling up all the way, not just 1/4"

Agreed, my 96 was doing the same thing, so i took the shutoff solenoid completely off of it and put a manual shutoff cable on it and havent had a problem since.

You can disconnect the solenoid and
manually operate the shutoff lever if need for troubleshooting.

I am going to try this tonight. I had a buddy turn the key for me while i watched it pull up and it appeared to be pulling all the way but this will verify.

How long is the air dog running? If it's the nominal 20+- seconds it may help you to branch continuous power to it while trying to bleed your system. I fought mine for a long time and checked everything you've checked, and running my FASS seemed to push everything through. Plus you may check that your fuel system is shutting off during cranking causing a cavitation, branching power will eliminate this

How long is the air dog running? If it's the nominal 20+- seconds it may help you to branch continuous power to it while trying to bleed your system. I fought mine for a long time and checked everything you've checked, and running my FASS seemed to push everything through. Plus you may check that your fuel system is shutting off during cranking causing a cavitation, branching power will eliminate this

Okay this seems plausible. I would not be suprised if the airdog shuts off while cranking the motor because it's triggered by one of the circuits in the fuse panel inside the vehicle. I think it's on the radio circuit or something similar. It has always started in the past but it hasn't ever lost a prime since i've installed the airdog.

Last edited:

YOU ARE THE MAN!! :Cheer:
Ha ha.. that was the problem.. it was flowing fuel nicely untill i turned the motor over. Ran a hot directly off the battery to the airdog relay and what do you know.. she started spitting fuel out the injector nut i had cracked. Shortly after that she's running good! Thank you,

Back