Prob with DTT auto in an 01, help

jkretzer

MegaCrank
a buddy of mine recently bought a fellow TDR memebers 01 dually. the truck had 48k on it when i bought i and it now has 68k. at 45k the DTT auto was rebuilt with cryod shafts and everything internal was rebuilt via dtts specs and parts. he recently broke the stock flexplate and had a BD Flexplate installed. he was moving stuff from his house yesterday and came off the interstate and tried to accelerate but the truck only shifted from 1 to 2 and no 3rd gear. he pulled into his driveway and he has no reverse also. he has contacted dtt and they requested that he ship the trans back to them for inspection, but he cant do this bc he is has to make a trip for the airforce in 10 days and needs the truck. the truck is at a local trans shop now being diagnosed by an authorized :eek:ther big name vender" so i will find out tonight what is wrong. any thoughts from anyone? it kind of sounds to me like a stuck valve. he said it happened all of a sudden no slipping or shudder just bam no 3rd and reverse. thanks josh

jkretzer said:
a buddy of mine recently bought a fellow TDR memebers 01 dually. the truck had 48k on it when i bought i and it now has 68k. at 45k the DTT auto was rebuilt with cryod shafts and everything internal was rebuilt via dtts specs and parts. he recently broke the stock flexplate and had a BD Flexplate installed. he was moving stuff from his house yesterday and came off the interstate and tried to accelerate but the truck only shifted from 1 to 2 and no 3rd gear. he pulled into his driveway and he has no reverse also. he has contacted dtt and they requested that he ship the trans back to them for inspection, but he cant do this bc he is has to make a trip for the airforce in 10 days and needs the truck. the truck is at a local trans shop now being diagnosed by an authorized :eek:ther big name vender" so i will find out tonight what is wrong. any thoughts from anyone? it kind of sounds to me like a stuck valve. he said it happened all of a sudden no slipping or shudder just bam no 3rd and reverse. thanks josh

Mine didn't want to hit 3rd but sometimes would if you let off the throttle, but my reverse was fine, but i just didn't want to hit third, and when i first started it and would drive it out the lane it would search between 1st and 2nd for a bit, put a new Gov Pressure solenoid in it and she's good as new.

dzlfarmboy said:
Mine didn't want to hit 3rd but sometimes would if you let off the throttle, but my reverse was fine, but i just didn't want to hit third, and when i first started it and would drive it out the lane it would search between 1st and 2nd for a bit, put a new Gov Pressure solenoid in it and she's good as new.

mine did exactly the same! Except I just took out the gov. pressure solenoid and cleaned the screen and saved myself the $80 for a new one, that seemed to be the problem with mine.
Mine has clogged up 3-4 times throughout the last 2years...

As for no reverse Im guessing probably the solenoid is bad or he killed his trans pump when his flexplate went out.

LAmiller said:
mine did exactly the same! Except I just took out the gov. pressure solenoid and cleaned the screen and saved myself the $80 for a new one, that seemed to be the problem with mine.
Mine has clogged up 3-4 times throughout the last 2years...

As for no reverse Im guessing probably the solenoid is bad or he killed his trans pump when his flexplate went out.

Yeah i got a new one on DTT so i still have my old one, it looked pretty dirty when i took it out so all's it really needed was a cleaning prob, but i just put the new one in.

I've had that happen on my stock tranny when it had 20k miles on it. Cept mine started out in limp mode.

:umno: had a 2000 dodge go from 1st to 3rd, and govenor pressure was at 26.5 at idle. put new silinoid in and changed nothing.

It could be the seal in the Hi/Rev clutch. That is the only common clutch used with those two gears. Pressures would help to diagnose it, but I am sure the tranny shop will figgure it out.

turns out he needs a full rebuild. broke the 3rd gear drum and there was a teflon seal that looked to be never seated properly, plus the installer said that he had no idea how the trans ever worked in the first place with all the probs that he found, he said the input and output shaft even had wear rings on them. i am not going to give out any more details until i see the pics and talk to the installer first hand bc that is the only way to get the truth on anything. i am not going to degrade anyone without solid proof, partly bc i love my auto and would buy another from them in a heartbeat and i am not that type of person. i should have pics in a few days, the truck will be done by fri.

The direct clutch is applied in 3rd and reverse. This does not sound good. Ususally the directs are toast.

jkretzer said:
...he has contacted dtt and they requested that he ship the trans back to them for inspection...
Gee, Shanti & Bill were really stepping up to the plate with their customer service on this one :rolleyes:

i am not saying a word on that bc they ahve always treated me great as all of my friends. i am hearing thissecond hand from my buddy in MI, which i trust completely but he is hearing it from the builder, i am sure that i dont know all the details, should have pics soon. josh

Parts break - that will happen with any company. The hi/rev drum is a stock component that failed. Nothing DTT could have done to prevent that other than put in a billit, which is several bills and generally unnecessary. Unfortunately, DTT wanting it shipped to them is poor service. I have run into this before with guys having DTT problems. DTT wants the tranny shipped there before they make any decisions on what to do. The down time involved is a problem - it usually takes a few weeks and I have seen it take alot longer. I had one customer pay me to fix his last summer because he did not want to wait on DTT again.

I think it again shows that the trans is only as good as the installer. A local installer in this case goes a long way and will stand behind you if there's problems. DTT sounds like they'll back up their trans, but like Smokin said, it's the down time that sucks.

brandon. (hi augutsa!)

At DTT we try to bring people in and train them to use the parts as they are not OEM. For the record josh, we did not ever build this transmisison at DTT nor did any of our trained dealers. Secondly , In 2001 the original owner of that truck bought a TC, VB and update kit and a cyro shaft. He had a local guy do the work and it lived a few years. We know he sold the truck and now the new owner obviously has issues.

I dont want to get into it with anyone I feel sorry for the guy.i dont know how it was represented to him. Why bash DTT , we told him when he called here we did not build the unit . If the sealing rings were installed wrong it was not done by us. We have a warning on our website to watch out for fraud .

People have to understand something, high performance does not mean parts alone. It needs someone that knows what they are doing to install the parts as well. You can buy the best parts in the world if they are not put together with precision they are just very expensive parts.

Last edited: