Problems with dual CP3's

06RAMCTD

Fueling Problems?

How do I know if I have a bad FCA on a twin pump truck? Tuesday night and last night at my local pull, my truck would not fuel on the line. I was trying to build boost, but it won't build up, it just rolls coal and won't light the charger.

We thought the lift pump was going bad, because it was gettting really hot. I replaced the lift pump on Wednesday, and it it did the same thing last night.

It was throwing a code for HPCR last week. We unplugged the FCA connector on the top pump, and saw no change in the truck.

We think the FCA on the top pump maybe sticking shut, and returning fuel, and ideas?

Thanks!

Bump...

I removed the FCA from the truck and tested it with a meter. I have continuity between the terminals, and I am measuring 3.8 ohms of resistance. I have two other ones, and they check our the same. The only difference between other ones I have and the one that came off the truck is that when I shake the FCA that I took of the truck, I can hear a small rattle.

Ideas? Suggestions?

Lets try this again with a different title:

How do I know if I have a bad FCA on a twin pump truck? Tuesday night and last night at my local pull, my truck would not fuel on the line. I was trying to build boost, but it won't build up, it just rolls coal and won't light the charger.

We thought the lift pump was going bad, because it was gettting really hot. I replaced the lift pump on Wednesday, and it it did the same thing last night.

It was throwing a code for HPCR last week. We unplugged the FCA connector on the top pump, and saw no change in the truck.

We think the FCA on the top pump maybe sticking shut, and returning fuel, and ideas?

Info from last night:

I removed the FCA from the truck and tested it with a meter. I have continuity between the terminals, and I am measuring 3.8 ohms of resistance. I have two other ones, and they check our the same. The only difference between other ones I have and the one that came off the truck is that when I shake the FCA that I took of the truck, I can hear a small rattle.

Ideas? Suggestions?

yeah If you pulled the plug outta the fca on the top pump and your rp didnt go to full rp like 26k or so.. then you have a bad fca...

Thanks! Got it fixed! Had more than a bad FCA. Thanks to John at Floor It Diesel, and NWPADMAX!:rockwoot:

Next time PM a Mod to change your thread title....we don't kneed the exact same thread multiple times with different titles.
And since you got it fixed...why not post the fix for when someone else searches this topic ?

Next time PM a Mod to change your thread title....we don't kneed the exact same thread multiple times with different titles.
And since you got it fixed...why not post the fix for when someone else searches this topic ?

Sorry...Didn't get any bites, so I tried a different title. Will do next time.

I had two problems. One was a bad FCA on the top pump. I also had a blockage in the cascade valve, which was causing me some issues as well.

John at FLOOR It, built my top pump, and he helped me work through the problem! Great guy to deal with!! NWPADMAX had a couple good FCAs for the dmax pump, which got me up and running this weekend.

Last edited:
I unplugged my fca and rail pressure when to 21.5k Do I have a bad one? Using the quad x2 rail pressure gauge also

As long as there is a noticable change in the sound of the motor, I would say no. I don't have an RP gage so I don't know what it should be. When you unplugged the FCA it commands full open on the FCA.

Thanks To Md500e!!!! :rockwoot: It works great! No more ECM locking my converter at the big end of the track!

Thanks To Md500e!!!! :rockwoot: It works great! No more ECM locking my converter at the big end of the track!

YES!! ^^ Mr. Russel (MD500E) has mad skills and helped me great with my TC unlock switch and OD unlock switch...!

He built me a box like his and it works Awesome!