propane injection

strokercuban85

Im thinking about putting propane on my truck for better economy and i just wanted to see if anybody is using it and how big of a difference does it make . any info would be appreciated .thank you

just my opinion but we have tried it and didn't like it. Little to hard on the motor. Yes we did get alil better fuel milage and small hp gains but no more. If you want power with relialablity the only way to go is water/meth. Keeps everything a bunch cooler and with meth. getting great HP gains

I saw about 3-5 lbs of instant boost when I flipped my propane on with my 7.3L but I never was satisfied with the claimed 80HP. I never tried a custom tune though, just ran the same microtuner. It might have done better if I added fuel. Never tested the mileage to see if it helped. I'll probably never try it again, although I do still have all the stuff from the last truck.

because nitrous is way better. safer. Ive tried meth and now im on nitrous..I never would mess with the pane

water/meth !!! the safest route with the best gains cooler egt's/more hp/better fuel economy/ any more ?

let's think of the suffix in propane... pane- stay away haha
another vote for nitrous from me

The only problem that the voters for nitrous forgot is he said he wants this for fuel economy not speed. So running nitrous for fuel economy wouldn't be very cost effective. I think I'm about to go with water/meth myself.

well, in that case... water/meth all day. sort of easy install and depending on your mix of water and methanol, you can adjust the mpg gains you see. Water/meth is a great solution for some power, but a great one for some EGT and MPG issues as well!

i didn't know so many people were using water/meth on 6.0 i guess im going to start looking into that idea. thanks guys

i never hear about people putting propane on 6.0 power stroke why is that ?

you have now.....i loved my kit! i ran the powershot2000 kit. i got 4mpg extra if figure diesel fuel per miles used.....an actual 1.5-2 mpg better after figuring the cost of propane used. it also added a dyno proven 80 rwhp/140 rwtq gain to my 2003 6.0! i dynoed 490/860 on a winjet dyno with an airraid intake, 5" exhaust, SCT tuned by innovative, and the ps2k kit.... also took my 1/8th mile track times from 8.80 to 8.36 best time and avg 8.40 at around 81 mph......i ran it on my truck for about 2 years until i got some weak injectors and decided to go ahead and get bigger ones since it was cheaper....i still used the pane for mpgs, but one of my buddies realllyyyyyy wanted it for the track so i sold it to him.

when i first got my truck and started hopping it up, i thought about nos, but then saw how much it cost, how long it last, and you really cant only use it at the track pretty much.......so i looked into getting pane....you can use it all day long, an 8.5 gallon tank will last from 1000-1500 miles depending on how your driving, towing, etc. AND it not only made more power, but better mpgs....and a lot cheaper than a lot of things you can do.......it was a no brainer to me...... and just a little sub-note, not trying to bash anyone here, but the majority of people that bash using propane....have never used it....just heard of a couple people that have had bad experiences with it because as everyone knows, bad news travels faster than good....:Cheer:

Propane = Fuel
Nitrous = Air
Water/Meth = Oxigenated Fuel and Intake Charge cooling.

7.3L = crappy stock high pressure system and injectors
6.0L = lots more oil in the stock high pressure system

Stock to stock add a tuner to a 7.3L and you get to the stock levels of a 6.0L. So back in the day the cheaper alternative to fuel delivery to a 7.3L was propane. Injector upgrades in 6.0L don't require the almost 2000 dollar hpop that a 7.3L needs.

Both Propane and Meth = uncontrollable injection timing
Nirtous supplements the lack of needed air to burn the fuel you have if you stuck a bigger injector in the engine.

Its not a one or the other. Add fuel you need to add air. Hell, If you added a ton of propane you could use a ton of nitrous to burn it. Adding the meth brings along its own air.

I'm curious... how do you get oxigentated fuel from Methanol and water? Cooling I'm okay with... There's only one oxygen molecule for each methanol, you still have a carbon and 4 hydrogens to oxidize for complete combustion...

The average chemical formula for common diesel fuel is C12H23, ranging from approx. C10H20 to C15H28. Methanol is a chemical compound with chemical formula CH3OH. It brings its own O to the party just like all alcohol fuels.

Uh... okay. Maybe we should work on the term oxigenated... Because it contains a single oxygen molecule doesn't mean it's going to burn any better. Yes I suppose in a point by point accounting of molecules it would require less O2 to burn than another fuel, but it's not going to make the other fuel burn any better. If it did it would be considered an oxidizer, not a polar solvent. If the later were true you could introduce a spark or ignition source in a container, while submerged and it would combust, and we all know that isn't happening. If it did we'd have an extremely unstable material on hand what wouldn't just be flammable, but explosive.

Now adding meth and water to the airstream will help you by cooling the charge temperature down, making it more dense, and therefore giving you more molecules of everything involved per unit of space, at at given pressure. So by that measure, yeah, you will get more oxygen, but you're also getting more fuel too.

I guess my point is it's not a magic panacea that makes any fuel burn better, but changes the parameters of how you're burning the fuel. It will take the ET's down a lot, but then again, so would just plain water. At 4.184 joules/ degree C/ mole (I don't expect anyone to recognize this one unless you're a physics nut) it translates to a boatload of heat consumed to raise the temperature of water 1 degree C, which is why it's so effective for control of detonation, and thermal stability.

But, all that said, methanol even with it's single oxygen, will not support combustion in an atmosphere devoid of oxygen, or another oxidizing agent.