Pros and cons of an 06

DEN

turtle jumping coach
I have been a ford man for years. But I am thinking about purchasing a slightly used 06 Chev CC 4x4 loaded up. What is the good and bad stuff about it? I have been hearing lots of good stuff obout the Dmaxes.

I love my 06 LBZ. The only problem I have with it is that I have a squeaky belt on start up. I haven't taken in for repair though.

Funny Kat,

First day I had my 07 and the thing was squeaking. They came and got it today, haven't heard from them yet, but sounded like a tensioner to me.

They sure are quiet.

IdahoRob said:
Funny Kat,

First day I had my 07 and the thing was squeaking. They came and got it today, haven't heard from them yet, but sounded like a tensioner to me.

They sure are quiet.

Congrats on the new truck Rob :woohoo:

I was reading on Edmunds.com last night and there were more people talking about the same thing. They said they had no luck with several dealers trying to fix it so I wish you guys good luck. I hate a squeak or a rattle.

the chirp you guys are talking about is from some of the new duramax's not having a clutched alternator and it makes them chirp on shut down also

There is also a belt noise when starting up that they are talking about. An 07 would already have the clutched alternator

DEN said:
I have been a ford man for years. But I am thinking about purchasing a slightly used 06 Chev CC 4x4 loaded up. What is the good and bad stuff about it? I have been hearing lots of good stuff about the Dmaxes.
I came from 19 years of Fords. there are things that I miss from the Ford, like the interior room & the solid front axle. but there are some things I like about the Dmax, hands down the power, the quietness, xm radio & a lot better AC. I don't regret my decision at all.

i had a 06" LBZ for about a month, it was a shortbed so it had a small tank(25gal) it had 18k miles on it and got 13mpg on a good day, i got sick of filling it up every 250 to 275 miles. i bought another dodge, now i get 16.5mpg (and getting better every day) and get at least 300mi on half a tank.

Towing 6000 pound trailer, running no lower than 70mph and alot of 80-85mph I got a hand calculated 14.79mpg

Cobra#3747 said:
Towing 6000 pound trailer, running no lower than 70mph and alot of 80-85mph I got a hand calculated 14.79mpg
you are one of the verylucky ones if you are able to get that.

I havnt checked it not towing, usually running it to hard to get any kind or good mileage.

Just realized I dont have a sig over here that would contain some insite. I have EFIlive also, that was with a tow program I put together.

I just got 19.7mpg in my 2007. I tend to keep my foot in it about 60% of the time.

You won't be sorry if you but the Duramax. GM has a reputation for having the most comfortable interior and ride of any 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. Mine has plenty of power whether you are empty driving down the freeway or towing a jeep up in the mountains. I have been born and raised by the bowtie and it has never let me down!

I recently made a 352 mile trip on relatively flat state highways and secondary roads in MI with some small hills. I was cruising at 1500-1600 rpm and I got 21.95 mpg using 16.04 gallons. When accelerating I never let the motor see over 1800 rpm because I had a cargo in the bed for 80% of the trip (up to 600#). The truck is still stock other than a PPE tow tune, blocked EGR and PCV reroute. I still have the stock intake, exhaust, ect. Towing a tall 32' long enclosed trailer at 22-23k combined I get 9-11 mpg at 75-65 mph.

78k to date...........14.5 mpg mixed .......16 highway.......75 to 90 depending on traffic.........no issues

well yesterday I unhooked from 1 of my trailers, pulled away from it & something just didn't sound right. I stepped on the brakes to stop & the truck acted like a manual tranny, it stalls the truck. I have a friend coming over today to put a scan tool on it to see if it's throwing any codes.