Pro's and cons of building a 6.4

ok progress made things noted:
Cross over tubes are stainless and a bit different from the 5.9 can they be used?
Threads are the same as the 5.9 feeder tubes.
6.7 uses a 200 degree thermostat WHY? Smog I bet!
Still looking for input on the hone!
AND the marine piston part # think MuMau will have it?

THE Auto flex plate looks very stout will it work?
And the starter has a way better power connection compared to the pain in the ass 5.9 starter! Can it be used?

OK so I honed the cylinders and here's what I got. I can't believe the ring wear on a motor with only 116k! And the piston skirt scoring is pretty bad!

20150714_185939.jpg

20150714_190320.jpg

Last edited:
THE Auto flex plate looks very stout will it work?
And the starter has a way better power connection compared to the pain in the ass 5.9 starter! Can it be used?

I am using a 6.7 auto adapter and starter with a 5.9 FP on my 04.5. The newer FP's have a slightly larger bore as the new 6.7 crank has a slightly larger centering shoulder. Not sure what year this started but first noticed it on a 13. Also note the newer style feeder tubes will work and now supersede the older 5.9 style tubes when ordering new ones.

Last edited:
Depends on what you're going for, the 6.7 will help spool up and the 6.4 will hold up better in high hp.

I wish there was a thread for doing 6.7 VP. LOL

Depends on what you're going for, the 6.7 will help spool up and the 6.4 will hold up better in high hp.

I wish there was a thread for doing 6.7 VP. LOL

Almost. Some guy on here was converting newer 6.7 trucks to ve.

That looks rough. No way I would run that. Just curious why are you doing a 6.4? Isn't this more of a tow rig type truck

Why not use the 6.7 crank then? It will provide even more displacement

I think the excessive rod angle starts to split the block in high hp applications, ~1200hp+, above 1000hp it depends if they can keep the high torque out of the bottom end of the rpm range.