Pro's/Con's of Added Timing?

CaseyF

Can someone please tell me the Pro's/Con's of Added Timing? I'm always hearing people talking about it, and I've been thinking about doing it.

timing.jpg

Yes.

However, getting a M&H timing spacer helps too! Leave it stock and the timing advances to where it would be against the head with normal timing advance.

Do you have to take the injection pump off to put the timing spacer on?

I picked up about 50hp with more timing on a set of big injectors. Didn't see any power increase until I bumped the timing up.

Can't you tap a wire into the KSB and get more timing also, I thought I read that somewhere?

However, getting a M&H timing spacer helps too! Leave it stock and the timing advances to where it would be against the head with normal timing advance.

Are you saying that adding the M&H spacer is the same timing advance as pump-to-the-head?

I'm not disputing you, I was just under the assumption that the M&H spacer didn't advance timing at low/medium rpm at all; rather, it just extended the range of the KSB's ability to advance in the upper rpm range, especially when used with a 3200 rpm spring, etc.

--Eric

Are you saying that adding the M&H spacer is the same timing advance as pump-to-the-head?

I'm not disputing you, I was just under the assumption that the M&H spacer didn't advance timing at low/medium rpm at all; rather, it just extended the range of the KSB's ability to advance in the upper rpm range, especially when used with a 3200 rpm spring, etc.

--Eric

You are correct. It advances with RPM further than stock. This helps eliminate any disadvantages of advancing the timing at low revs. I've never dyno'd my truck but I could sure feel a difference above 2000 or so with the timing spacer installed.

(Intercooled) Tapping the ksb wire sends the same signal that the sensor in the intake would send when air is cold (it advances a little bit to make it start easier in cold weather) It is fine to keep the wire tapped for a dyno run, etc, but if power is kept to the ksb all of the time, the little solenoid will burn up. The very opposite is true of non intercooled pumps. The m&h spacer spaces out the plunger so it doesn't run out of travel as soon. It is supposed to act like stock timing at low rpms and pump to head at higher rpms. I never checked to see how much it advanced but it definately made the top end crisper. If you want to see for yourself the benefits/drawbacks of added timing just loosen up the nuts on the studs of the timing case and clock the pump toward the head of the engine. ........man i sure miss how easy my ve started on cold mornings. My advanced ppump is not a fan.

Kansas, I remember reading somewhere up the timing is advanced to around 16-18*...

As for the solenoid burning up, I call BS. In my own experience, for the 15 months I had my 2wd, I used the KSB. I kept it on for +3hrs while hauling cars, to helping start on cooler mornings. I added it around May. 5 months later the KSB still worked, taking my time from a consistent 16.32x to a 16.17x. In fact, in the dead of winter in December/January, it worked better to add my own 12v then the 10.3v it was getting from the sensor. Started easier, less smoke, warmed up quicker.

As soon as I am done chasing the PO wires down and getting rid of the ones I don't need, I am adding a 12v switch to this truck.

Jason, just skip two teeth and set the IP around the stock marks. Makes it easier to work behind the pump. . . . . . and add more timing advance if needed. :D