Public Service anouncement.......Oil quality

Hamilton Cams

ignorant
Last week I looked at a pair of cams with 5,000 miles on them. They were both reground 12v cams with the same springs, oil, zinc additive and installed at the same time. They were installed by the same people, and followed the same break-in procedure. One had a 62-65-14 and the other had a 64-74-14. The truck with the larger turbo had much more smoke and had much more black soot in the oil. In spite of the engines being identical except for the smoke output and oil contamination the engine with the soot ate 10 out of 12 lobes.

I have seen this a few times with various cams. Engines that have more soot seem to wear cams much more often. This really make a case for bypass filtration to get the smaller particles.

Last week I looked at a pair of cams with 5,000 miles on them. They were both reground 12v cams with the same springs, oil, zinc additive and installed at the same time. They were installed by the same people, and followed the same break-in procedure. One had a 62-65-14 and the other had a 64-74-14. The truck with the larger turbo had much more smoke and had much more black soot in the oil. In spite of the engines being identical except for the smoke output and oil contamination the engine with the soot ate 10 out of 12 lobes.

I have seen this a few times with various cams. Engines that have more soot seem to wear cams much more often. This really make a case for bypass filtration to get the smaller particles.
I thought soot was too small to be picked up by a filter?

I only go 1500-2000miles per oil change with big injectors.

I'd like to add a bypass filter, but was told it would drop the oil pressure down quite a bit. I've got 2 turbo feed lines but both are restricted a bit by the inlet on the BB chargers. It would be nice to not wear out another cam.

some of the bypass filters I have seen keep the oil looking almost new. I guess it depends which kit you have.

Ron you change your oil enough to probably not have to worry about this PSA. Oh yes and you probably have the tightest AFC on compD

some of the bypass filters I have seen keep the oil looking almost new. I guess it depends which kit you have.

Ron you change your oil enough to probably not have to worry about this PSA. Oh yes and you probably have the tightest AFC on compD
Which bypass do you recommend?

I use to change my oil/filter after every race (0 street miles) when I ran straight dino oil. Ever since I switched to Schaeffer's 9000 full synthetic I go 2-3 races before an oil/filter change (again, 0 street miles). My truck doesn't smoke very much anyway, but I still like to keep moving fresh oil through the motor. Pay no attention to the smoke in the avatar pic, that was an unusually smokey spool up due to the heat and humidity that day. :)

Last edited:
I'd like to add a bypass filter, but was told it would drop the oil pressure down quite a bit. I've got 2 turbo feed lines but both are restricted a bit by the inlet on the BB chargers. It would be nice to not wear out another cam.

I had more of a drop in pressure than I am comfortable with when I installed my bypass (with twins). I tapped the inside of the NPT fitting for the bypass filter line. I screwed an allen head plug into it, and drilled a 1/16" hole in the plug as a restrictor. Now, my drop is 2-4 psi, which I can live with. Hopefully the engine can, too. 90k+ miles so far, 80k with the bypass.

Their site says single ply 1000 sheets per roll is the proper roll. I would say it would have to be on the commercial side, no one wants to wipe with that kinda stuff. I think I may have to get one, although for anything over 10 qts you need two.

This thread took a shi##^ direction.

I don't want to reccomend any one brand as I don't have a lot of experience with all of them. After building hundreds of engines and popping the valve cover aff of 4 or 5 a day for 10 years I have seen a major difference with trucks that use the bypass filtration and tune their trucks correctly. By the way the loose nut behind the wheel can be a bigger issue than not having the extra filtration. Trucks with drivers under 25 and lower IQ seem to have the most conamination. Not passing judgement, just giving you the facts.

Last edited:
Their site says single ply 1000 sheets per roll is the proper roll. I would say it would have to be on the commercial side, no one wants to wipe with that kinda stuff. I think I may have to get one, although for anything over 10 qts you need two.
2? that sucks, I might as well get the fs2500 for that much.

2? that sucks, I might as well get the fs2500 for that much.

That is the exact math I did a few years ago before I bought my Fs2500. I'm glad I did; it's built like a tank, and the filters are cheaper than the amsoil screw-ons.

That is the exact math I did a few years ago before I bought my Fs2500. I'm glad I did; it's built like a tank, and the filters are cheaper than the amsoil screw-ons.
I just bought a frantz used for 140. So that will have to do for now.

How long do you go in between oil changes and filter changes?

Back