Public Service anouncement.......Oil quality

Oil analysis every 5k, oil and main filter at 10k, bypass filter at 20k. The analysis report always says the oil is good and to check in another 5k, but I change it anyway. I just feel like it's time after 10k although I don't have a good reason. If I raced, pulled, or fueled hard I would probably change it at 5k.
Oil choice and change interval seems to be one of those things that doesn't conform to logic (for most people.) I guess I fall into that category.

Hope that helps...:lolly:

I had more of a drop in pressure than I am comfortable with when I installed my bypass (with twins). I tapped the inside of the NPT fitting for the bypass filter line. I screwed an allen head plug into it, and drilled a 1/16" hole in the plug as a restrictor. Now, my drop is 2-4 psi, which I can live with. Hopefully the engine can, too. 90k+ miles so far, 80k with the bypass.
Where did you hook it up with twins?

I used one of the ports at the top of the oil filter housing. Return is through the filler cap.

Zack.. do you think the biggest issue is the change in the oil we saw for over the road oils for 2007.. or more that we are seeing more aftermarket parts and performance with a reground cam?
Bryan

I've been changing every 2k miles. I just switched to Amsoil and have been driving alot more carefully. I run 1 pint of F1 zinc and add 1/2 pint more zinc at the 1k mark. I'd like to set up a bypass filter that i could slide up underneath truck and hook to my oil drain, Plug it in and have it recirc my oil overnight, or at least a couple of hours at a time. Unplug it when done and should have pretty new looking oil. I don't drive mine alot .

I have been changing mine at 2k as well. My buddy has been getting me free 40wt oil, so it doesn't bother me to change it.

I was just amazed how clean the oil could be with a bypass. Mine should be here Monday, I can't wait to install it.

Got my bypass today but don't know to hook the feed up to since I'm using 2 chargers.

Could I put a tee or is that a bad idea??

I used a tee off the top of the filter housing. One side to the secondary, other side to the bypass. My oil pressure sender is in the line to the secondary turbo, just out of the oil filter housing.
As said earlier, I made a restrictor for the bypass line to keep my oil pressure up. I figure the bypass filters one-third to one-half as fast as it would un-restricted.

I used a tee off the top of the filter housing. One side to the secondary, other side to the bypass. My oil pressure sender is in the line to the secondary turbo, just out of the oil filter housing.
As said earlier, I made a restrictor for the bypass line to keep my oil pressure up. I figure the bypass filters one-third to one-half as fast as it would un-restricted.
Wouldn't it better to have the 2 turbos feeding off the same port and the bypass on its own?

Thanks

I had more of a drop in pressure than I am comfortable with when I installed my bypass (with twins). I tapped the inside of the NPT fitting for the bypass filter line. I screwed an allen head plug into it, and drilled a 1/16" hole in the plug as a restrictor. Now, my drop is 2-4 psi, which I can live with. Hopefully the engine can, too. 90k+ miles so far, 80k with the bypass.
Do you know what size allen head plug you used?

Frantz site says to change the TP filter every 1500-2500 miles. I will probably end up getting one for the Jetta, but the truck might be a while before I spring for it. They do have a double filter canister on the site, that is just barely more than the single, which IMHO is the way to go. I am also doing twins, but my oil filter housing has three ports, so one will get the bypass put onto it.

I have been reserching bypass filters for years. This is the one I like best. I don't have one yet.

http://www.cumminsfiltration.com/pdfs/product_lit/americas_brochures/LT32550.pdf

I think they run $250-$280

I use this full flow

Donaldson ELF7349 Endurance Extended Life Oil Filter Common For Cummins 5.9 Engines

This is an awesome filter. I run them to 25,000 mi. I have done analisys at that milage and they said "the oil was good, change the filter and keep runnind the oil". I changed the oil. I don't have a lot of power tho.

I always changed my frantz filter @ 1000 miles.
Rolls of TP were 50 cents, and a wee bit of makeup oil. I thought it was cheap maintenance.
I then changed my main filter @ 5k miles, and dropped the oil at 10k. Never did oil analysis. Always had dirty oil.
The filter was on the 4bt. And it definitely put the soot in the oil.

Due to scott rolls changing the size of their center tube, you can't use them anymore without mod the center of the filter holder. I plan to get my rolls from frantz once the truck is back on the road.

Do you know what size allen head plug you used?

I can't remember. I went to the hardware store and bought one that was slightly to big to fit in the 45 degree elbow I used between the tee and bypass line. I tapped the inside of the elbow and screwed in the plug. Before I put the plug in I drilled a 1/16" hole in it. I put the plug in the upstream side of the elbow so the pressure was pushing it in. It's been like that for 84k miles and counting.

I can't remember. I went to the hardware store and bought one that was slightly to big to fit in the 45 degree elbow I used between the tee and bypass line. I tapped the inside of the elbow and screwed in the plug. Before I put the plug in I drilled a 1/16" hole in it. I put the plug in the upstream side of the elbow so the pressure was pushing it in. It's been like that for 84k miles and counting.
Where did you get your tee from? I'm having a hard time finding 1.

Is it 12m?

Back