Pulley ratio for crank driven fuel pump

jedeka

I'm thinking about running a mechanical fuel pump off the crankshaft on my 12v. I'm thinking a 2:1 ratio so the pump runs 1/2 the crank speed. Pump has built in regulator. Am I thinking correctly? Thanks.

Probably depends on the pump gph.

My Glacier diesel fuel boss is about half crank speed if I remember correctly.

Most guys who run off of the PS/Vacuum Pump (using Waterman pumps) have to do a decent amount of regulating at higher RPM. I would start by finding out what that final ratio is. Just measure the gears diameters and do a little math.

My original intentions was to run a pump off the vacuum pump gear, using a bolt-on Keating drive hub. The Kennys front cover was made for a Tuthill pump. He prefers running an Enderle off the injection pump gear. I wanted to run a Enderle off the vacuum pump gear and use a 2" extension to help with any minor misalignment issues. The hole for the Tuthill is 2.25" while the Enderle pilots in a 2.125" hole. I can get my hands on an Aviaid pump with an internal regulator and thought about making a mounting plate below the crankshaft to mount the Aviaid pump.

My assassin is 1:1.5 IIRC. It runs faster than crank speed. Keeps up with my setup no problem and a constant 60psi @ WOT. It will depend on how many GPM/H the pump flows and what mods you have/plan on doing.

Since you are running half engine speed you would want the same size pump guys use when running off the injection pump gear. If i were to do it again i would just get an aviaid oil/fuel pump combo and belt drive it off the crank.