Pullin questions

chvyrkr

Still learning...

I got my hands on a ranch hand rear bumper. I was gonna fab a pullin bumper, figuring that it would be quicker to build a tough setup if I used that as the base. But, a buddy just told me that some places, tech won't pass you if you don't have a full reese hitch set up.

Been tryin to decide if I wanna use blocks or airbags on the rear end. Bags seem to be more forgiving if you start gettin bounce. But, bags seem to be worse about lettin the bounce get started.

Thanks!

1. Just get a well built receiver instead of the ranch hand and a roll pan.

2. Use blocks, you are correct bags seems to let bounce start.

Good luck

I can fab up the receiver, I was partially goin for the looks of the back bumper. It's not a dedicated pullin truck just yet. So I was wondering about tech mostly.

Thanks!!!

Dont know how it is there but most places dont allow air bags to be hooked up either.

No, most places allow air bags but they must have single capped lines which means you can pull with them inflated but without in cab controls you can't raise your hitch height going down the track! ;)

No, most places allow air bags but they must have single capped lines which means you can pull with them inflated but without in cab controls you can't raise your hitch height going down the track! ;)

How about recievers built into the bumper? You know of anywhere givin somebody crap about that?

I'd like to do bags as this is a daily driven truck for the time bein, but I'm scarred of that bounce. I pulled without anything all year. Nothing broke, but I should be a little more rank next year and don't wanna chance it.

It you want bags for daily driving, get them and build a set of stops for pulling...

It you want bags for daily driving, get them and build a set of stops for pulling...

Gonna start runnin outa room with bars, bags, and stops. Think I've made up my mind on runnin blocks.

Now about this bumper thing...

Check then org's rules that you plan on running with. Most of them state something about Reese "style or type" which means you would have to have something built onto the frame. Oh, and there is enough room for bags & stops under there. PM Fireman450 for pics. His bags are on top of his rear lead springs, and his stops bolt in place of the oem rubber pieces. ;)

Check then org's rules that you plan on running with. Most of them state something about Reese "style or type" which means you would have to have something built onto the frame. Oh, and there is enough room for bags & stops under there. PM Fireman450 for pics. His bags are on top of his rear lead springs, and his stops bolt in place of the oem rubber pieces. ;)

On a ford? Cool. The bags I've looked at bolt in right where the best place for blocks is. I'm sure something could be fabbed, I'll have to look at his setup.

I think I'm just gonna cut the bumper around the reese and truss and weld 'em together. Just tryin be able to put a nicer bumper on the back without addin to much weight. And, my reese is showing some wear... :doh:

No, its a 94 Dodge 3500 2wd. Lynn is a volunteer fire fighter, believe 450 is his call tag/#?

I am still pulling on a stock appearing reciever. Smart, not really but I plan on replacing & reinforcing mine over the winter. Gonna have quite a bit more HP & traction next year. ;)

No, its a 94 Dodge 3500 2wd. Lynn is a volunteer fire fighter, believe 450 is his call tag/#?

I am still pulling on a stock appearing reciever. Smart, not really but I plan on replacing & reinforcing mine over the winter. Gonna have quite a bit more HP & traction next year. ;)

Oh ok. He has a flatbed right? Picked his front end up at a few pulls this year if it's the truck I'm thinkin of.

This thing has overloads, and from what I can recall from all the time I've spent layin under my buddies 24V, the spring packs sit different. I think I'll run outa room unless I can get inventive.

This was the first year I pulled. The part of the reese on the frame is fine, the receiver portion is what's showing wear. And I just generally hate the way the back bumper looks.

More HP next year? You looked pretty good at Lebanon. The Mrs liked your lights too.

Your supposed to take your overload springs out when you install air bags. ;) Just noticed you have a Ford in your sig, not sure if the have the same ear off the side of the factory lift blocks that the bumpstops are supposed to touch? But that's where all the Dodge guys build their bumpstops, and yeah Lynn's truck is a flatbed.

I won't have the wig wags next year because I finally ran a air intake out the pass side headlight late in the season, but I will have something else pretty cool rigged up just for S & G's too. ;) :D

After lookin at some stuff. I think I can get away with bags and still have room for blocks. I have the ear...

And the overloads. Yeah, :doh:

As long I get my way this winter, the truck will be alot stronger next year, and won't be a mid pack puller than nobody remembers lol.