Pulling her apart...

frameblack.jpg

frameblack2.jpg

frameblack1.jpg

Still wet in the photos, actually a flat black when dry. Will put another coat hopefully later this week then reinstall fuel tank, lines etc.

May just install a rubber 5/16 hose for the return?

Looks like you're having fun :Cheer:

Where about in Texas do you live?

Im in Humble. Truck is in Cleveland. Hard to find time to go work on it sometimes.

I am having FUN though! Enjoying myself

Last edited:
Nice.. It'll be neat to see another 12 valve around town. I'm up the street from you by the lake.

Cool. Hopefully I actually get this thing finished one day... LOL

resurection1.jpg

resurection.jpg

I think having this thing done by deer season is out of the question.. LOL

Still need a return fuel line and to order clutch for the nv4500 swap. Probably the 13" Valair unit rated @ 350hp.

fullframepaint.jpg

drivelinepaint.jpg

bedundersidepaint.jpg

Im really happy with my choice of flat black paint thus far in this build. I threw the kid (not mine) in the picture for a little color though! LOL

Im leaning heavily towards painting the trans a gloss red before install though.....

Once I get the fuel tank buttoned up, fuel lines ran, electrical ran along frame again,rear main seal replaced, clutch ordered and installed, trans painted and installed, then maybe I will think about getting the cab off of the donor truck, etc.... :nail:

Last edited:
Lookin good, wondering why you would want a clutch rated that much less than what power you want to make though?

Hanging the s475 under the sticker won't come for a while....

I am going to need to get this truck on he road for a while before then

If youre looking for a decent frame paint, eastwoodco.com sells some chassis extreme stuff that I used on mine. Its good stuff!
Also, I undercoated with some black paraffin stuff they sell. Keeps the rust down.
Got some undercoating spray kit and used a hose to spray inside the rockers and cab corners.

What type of paint should I use on the trans and transfer case? I'd like to go red.

Hmm, Id say epoxy but doesnt that transfer case get a bit warm? Epoxy doesnt like heat much.
Maybe an engine enamel, but thats not very durable as far as chip protection goes.
Maybe brake caliper paint?

The NV4500 donor is a 2000 so I'm going to have to figure out something on the speedo.

Do you have a functioning rear wheel abs sensor in the differential? I can give you instructions how to wire it to the stock speedo. I had to do it for my G56.

Define functional....

Before the tear down, the abs light would come on some days and not on others. Not sure if it is the sensor fault or not.

Directions on how to do this would be awesome though!!

The sensor and tone wheel could be good with a malfunction of other componants. My ABS controller quit years ago so it is unplugged. I need to crawl under my truck and find the wire color I attached to ground coming out of the sensor. I will post the info later today.

OK, here are the instructions if your ABS is working.

I used the Dakota Digital SGI-5 speed signal interface. It works great, simple 4 wire install. Power, ground, signal in (from ABS) and signal out (to speedo)

You want to use output #3 (8000ppm ac output)with switch #3 and #4 up.

For a '97 get the ABS signal from the OBD data link connector (red wire with violet tracer) The factory speedo signal wire (white with orange tracer) was found in the big white wire connector that is under the dash in between the clutch and parking brake pedals.

Since my ABS controller is TU and unplugged, I spliced into the wires from the rear wheel sensor. The controller grounds the wt/vt to ground so I grounded it to the frame. I sent the wire from the rd/vt straight to the SGI-5.

After the install I borrowed a TomTom from a friend and calibrated it at 30, 45 and 60 mph. With the speedo correct at 60 the truck is going about 28 when the speedo shows 30, but is deadnuts on at 75. Good enough for what I need.

I found the Dakota Digital on e-bay.

Last edited:
Thank you for the writeup Games!

Im looking into the complete car kit from this company for the inside of the truck. QuietRide Solutions

Still looking for a product for the exterior firewall and floorboard.. I have been looking at rubberizing products... Any suggestions??

I finally picked up a return line a few days ago and got the fuel lines hooked back up.

Still need to decide on a clutch and get it on order before I can do much else....
Suggestions here? I may just go ahead and order the Valair DD after all....

While u have the trans out better put a tack weld on fifth gear nut and I've had good luck with south bend clutches and had a buddy that tried a valair dd clutch but it didn't last 30,000 miles and pads were gone.... just my two cents....

There was very little progress for quite some time. AND very little progress is has been made since.. LOL figured I post up anyway..

Cab coming off the donor truck.. (1/2 ton)

8B366419-A375-4BAB-BE2D-91A9514F4F4B-439-0000004B05239003_zps17eafec7.jpg

6F251BE4-A10E-4875-B521-F193FE4E337E-439-0000004B0ED5C809_zps15a2ce75.jpg

Finally installed the clutch from Valair and trans....
FC863932-4DF7-4BD0-B47A-67F8E2CE69E4-756-0000006B6E19F5AB_zps032a2ea4.jpg

E67E24E5-6D26-4938-BAD5-050A1EE6324F-439-0000004B08317BD0_zps93fee650.jpg

8B5C4F52-5226-4406-BBF5-93B7076BFB91-439-0000004AFE0D7A93_zps6a3599f2.jpg

Last edited: