Pump gear torque spec.....

I did find out that myself and 9412valve can tear the entire front off of a truck before the pizza guy can get there from across the street, and faster than the radiator can drain.

The good news is that we were able to tab his KDP while we had it apart, and it was starting to come out already.

I went to 175 on mine last night and that was with an adjustable gear with the keyway. i was afraid that anymore would strip it.

I did mine at 160. Had to redo it about 12 times before I got the damn pump shaft to quit spinning and screwing up my timing. And that was with the front end torn down. I can only imagine how much its gonna suck when I put the pump back on next week.

I did mine at 160. Had to redo it about 12 times before I got the damn pump shaft to quit spinning and screwing up my timing. And that was with the front end torn down. I can only imagine how much its gonna suck when I put the pump back on next week.

Are you talking about when you get your desired plunger lift, and then pop the gear off? It can be a pain, but just barely put the gear on there with the nut, get the pump where you want it, and pull the gear back off. It shouldnt really move if you do it right, but sometimes its still hard to do.

Eric

Are you talking about when you get your desired plunger lift, and then pop the gear off? It can be a pain, but just barely put the gear on there with the nut, get the pump where you want it, and pull the gear back off. It shouldnt really move if you do it right, but sometimes its still hard to do.

Eric

yea i usually torque it to 70 or so while adjusting, and tighten it to 180 final

Eric

Yeah that can be a PITA! I find it to be easier and faster for me to just pop the gear off, measure the lift and then back the engine up then but the gear on and see where it is at tdc.

Eric

Well that an just tightening the nut down in general. I torque the nut to 10ftlbs to put the gear on the shaft and then set the plunger lift. Pop the gear off and then rotate the engine back and then start tightening the gear down to 150-160. And thats really when the pump shaft will start to twist and screw the reading up.

mine moved 1.75* from where i had it to when i had final torque on the nut. it was higher than i set it at so i just left it.

Garrett

So I'm trying to understand why you'll are spending this much time screwing around with timing when all you have to do is pin the pump and it won't move.

Jim

Use the pin to hold the pump still while torquing the nut?

I wouldn't...
lube the washer/surface of the nut a little, might let it slide a little better against the gear. Might also lube the threads.

Neither would I. A buddy of mines kit came with a little bearing you put between the nut an gear that allows the nut to tighten the gear down without spinning it. Once you torque it down you undue the nut an remove the bearing and torque everything back down and nothing should move.

Use the pin to hold the pump still while torquing the nut?

Just a little, snug it with a ratchet then pull the pin and T/Q to final, you have to be careful with that pin not to break it off, if you do you'll have to pull the pump to get the pieces out.

Jim

I did find out that myself and 9412valve can tear the entire front off of a truck before the pizza guy can get there from across the street, and faster than the radiator can drain.

The good news is that we were able to tab his KDP while we had it apart, and it was starting to come out already.

yeah, I bet the look on my face was priceless when the threads on that shaft stripped.:bang

I went to 175 on mine last night and that was with an adjustable gear with the keyway. i was afraid that anymore would strip it.

took mine to 150ft/lbs and used blue loc tight on my adj gear

So are you guys with the adjustable gears using the keyway? Where can I get one?

:pop:

i go two shades of red on mine LOL meaning when your face turns two shades of red, its ALMOST tight enough :hehe:

i really dont know how tight i got mine, i wedged a screwdriver between the cam gear and the pump gear and put my breaker bar on it and pulled till it wouldn't move anymore.

Back