Pump shop time again.

RonA

I'm going to send my pumps in to have the flow checked. Using the same 181's, holders, plate, and afc, there is about 100hp difference between them. I'd like to see how much difference there is in flow between my tweaked 12mm and my mild 13mm pump. Hopefully that will answer some questions I've never really gotten the answers to, and take some of the guess work out of what pump output is needed for a certain hp level. Especially if that level does not allow unlimited smoke or nitrous.

Ron, please inform me of your findings.

Tim

A friend of mine did the tweaking on my 887 pump and then shipped it to a local shop to balance.(they do good work). He recently shipped a 160 pump that he had tweaked about as much as he could to the same shop along with a 13mm II pump. The 13mm pump only put out 30cc more fuel. That got me thinking that unless the 13mm pump is cranked way up, the difference could be minimal( and more related to a faster injection rate than a higher flow). I'm probably not looking at it correctly, but I'd like to know more about it. DDP had a pretty nasty 13mm pump on one of their trucks for a while. I asked them about getting one for my truck and they recommended against it. Said it was too much pump and would burn holes in my pistons. I have not heard of this happening, but I guess it is possible. There may be a fine line between performance and meltdown. I'd like to edge closer to the line if that's what it takes.

My II 13mm pump puts out ridiculous fuel. I can't even cut it all the way back and make it behave nice.

Same question.

I will ask if he has checked. Honestly, I wouldn't know how to check it. I'm guessing that the output on my 13mm is 60 to 75cc more than my 12mm. I base that number purely on the dyno difference between the 2. The 550-750cc numbers that they rated it at are with their HFDv's. They cannot be run on the street because of the smoke.

PRattenbury.
You must be making alot more power than mine. I'm in the low 800's and have no trouble running on the street. Ever dyno or run it at the track?

Actually, the truck runs like crap. I've never been able to throw enough air at it to be able to use the fuel. I had a small set of twins to start, PS62 over K31. The fuel buried them. Then I had a single 64/71/13 on it and did a lot of tuning on the pump. It ran better, but still too much fuel and power was nothing to write home to mother about. Now I've got a single E.D. S471, stainless tubular header and E.D. WG on it, but I have several other goodies also going in, and haven't had a good stretch of time to work on it in several months, close to a year, really. So I have no idea how that'll work out. But in all cases boost has never been over 40 PSI. I've been through every inch of the charge air piping, turbos, intake and so forth chasing out boost leaks. I got it so the whole system will build up pressure, but does still drift off to zero slowly. I attribute that to air getting by the valves. No crank position has all valves closed, so it made sense. But if I get it all together again and still can't get it to go well I'm gonna have to save my pennies till I can afford a pro to get it sorted out. I'll shut up now. I've robbed your thread. :blahblah1:

Tell me I didn't just read that you said a bench tweaked 160 was within 30cc's of a built 13mm pump.

Tell me I didn't just read that you said a bench tweaked 160 was within 30cc's of a built 13mm pump.

What I said is that a tuned 160 pump(12mm) was only 30cc less than a 13mm pump that is in an unknown state of tune. I have no idea what state of tune the 13mm pump is in. If the plungers are in the middle on the 13 and tweaked all the way on the 160, I guess it could be. Mine are tweaked a bit. Don't know how much more they could get.

Attachments

• pump.jpg
    pump.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 118
Ron, that can't be your pump with the inlet in the front, Don said it would cause air bubbles and hurt HP! Might even throw a rod out :hehe:

Jim

I guess that must be two of my problems Jim. Hope all is well.

What I said is that a tuned 160 pump(12mm) was only 30cc less than a 13mm pump that is in an unknown state of tune. I have no idea what state of tune the 13mm pump is in. If the plungers are in the middle on the 13 and tweaked all the way on the 160, I guess it could be. Mine are tweaked a bit. Don't know how much more they could get.

Why are the nuts missing? Did you or someone turn the barrels while it was on the truck? Just curious as I thought it wouldn't be balanced anymore if you did this?

I took the nuts off 1 side to see how much they had been turned. Didn't loosen the other side.

Hey Ron did you send your pump over to Allen diesel in yuba city to get flow test?

No. They don't do performance work. Santa Rosa fuel injection did my 12mm pump. I will probably have CDS do it this time. Only because my 13mm pump is going in to be looked at.