Pump Timing, can someone clear this up for me?

Ken in AZ

ill-tempered
Alright using piers and dodgeram.org, they have their timing charts a little different, basically they say for the cpl 2175(the 215 pump) that 5.6mm is 16.0*
http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/FAQ/timing.htm
or
http://www.piersdiesel.com/TechPTiming.htm

So, I measured mine today....a few different times to make sure I was doing it correctly....and I ended up at 7.06mm what would my timing be since my measurement is off the chart? I used the timing pin method if it makes any difference.

I am guessing it is close to 24* but that seems WAY high to me. I took my truck to the cummins shop here in phoenix and from stock timing, the tech said he bumped it a few degrees. My truck runs fine..great actually, just a bit of white smoke when it dips below 50degrees, but I figured it was due to the marine headgasket and not reshimming the injectors.

what do you guys think? is this right...am i doing something wrong?

It runs awesome now, would it be because it has the 4K GSK, does that make much difference?

It has been at that timing setting for over a year with no problems other than the stock head gasket blowing, but I attribute that to overboosting the stock turbo. The B1 has been in there ever since then and everything seems fine.

I'll see if I can get the timing tools this week and try to set it back when I do the injectors and see if that helps or hurts, but it honestly runs so good I don't want to touch anything.

If I did pull it back, I'd probably try to get it to 18* so I'm thinking plunger lift would be 6.1mm adding for the thicker headgasket?

thanks

All i've read was to use the thinnest washers available with the 370's

when you say there is a 10degree difference between the injectors....I get completely confused, is there another thread somewhere I can read up. I feel almost completely lost talking about this stuff.:doh:

so, even though I'm spinning 4K rpms, still set timing to be @ 13* for the 370's....got it

another question...kindof on the gears towards "you can give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach him how to fish and he'll feed himself for a lifetime" Is there somewhere I can go to learn this stuff. Is there some sort of Injection manual I can obtain to read all about injection timing and how it affects performance, fuel economy, spray pattern vs bowl design?

I appreciate all your help Smokem, you rock:ylsuper:

Thanks, lots of info on Cumminsdatabase...I fell asleep reading it last night lol.

Where I want to take this truck is with the Water/Meth and 370's to the 500rwhp mark. No higher than 50psi on this B1. It's a street driven truck, unloaded 99% of the time, kindof a hot rod...just want it to be a fast fun truck that can surprise alot of people

(ps: I forgot to add the water injection into my signature)

The clutch is a champ right now, and I've dyno'd 400rwhp already(412 in 5th gear), but that was with the stock turbo before I blew the head gasket :doh:

I've done some full throttle runs...and it seems to be holding fine :crossing fingers: I just want an honest to goodness 450rwhp and I'll be happy, hell I might even be there right now, I'm just gonna slap in the 370's and set the timing at 18* and slap it on the dyno or take it to the track.

I've already trapped 92mph before the ATS manifold and plate at 3/4 forward. I picked up at least 20hp from the ATS peice, and depending on what HP calculator you use, a 6900lb truck that traps 92 makes between 390-420whp.

One thing I noticed after I swapped to the ATS is that with the BHAF I retained the factory filterminder, before it never moved...not even a milimeter, and directly after it pulled it down about a half centimeter. that tells me I'm sucking alot more air then before. :rockwoot:

Is the 0.020" washers the thinest washer available?

So if I set it at 18* my cylinder pressure would be thru the roof? isn't is already thru the roof now with my timing at 24.5* would it be much difference?

I'm just afraid that I'll fall on my face after 3000rpm with the 4K kit with the timing that low, or is that something I don't have to worry about with the marine injector.

maybe I should just sell them and get a different injector to match my set-up

I hear all kinds of good things about NewEraDiesel and their EDM's which injector would you recomend to go with from them?