Pump Work?

displacedtexan

$500 PREMIUM MEMBER
I mentioned this in a thread in the P-Pump 24v section, and decided to revisit it here in a new thread...

I had a local authorized Bosch shop put a pump on their flowbench and turn and balance the barrels on a pump for $300. The truck it's on is running great.

What would you say is the point where one would need/really see the difference in a pump done by one of the shops that really specializes in hot diesel pumps over the average local shop?

Obviously lightening governor assemblies, cut cam profiles and such are part of the latter group, but what about a (mostly) street truck looking for just a little more?

This should be interesting.

Oh, and the pump he's talking about is on my truck. 215 pump flowing 445cc with 100 plate full forward, turned barrels, stock gsk, stock DV, stock AFC slid full forward. Runs great and I'm loving the hell out of it.

i got quoted 350 to do the same thing on my 160 pump. was wondering if its worth it. how many more cc's do they get out of a pump just turning the barrels.

Mine went from 171cc at 1300rpm at 14.5mm of rack travel to 445cc at 1300rpm at 19.8mm of rack travel with all the stuff done to it. The cc numbers are averaged between all 6 cylinders.

Mine went from 171cc at 1300rpm at 14.5mm of rack travel to 445cc at 1300rpm at 19.8mm of rack travel with all the stuff done to it. The cc numbers are averaged between all 6 cylinders.

wow! where did you have it done and how much?

Thompson Diesel in Tulsa $300

That was from stock settings, to how it is now.

Stock plate, stock position, barrels turned it did 190cc

No thoughts?

FWIW I'm not at all plugging Thompson, I wanted that pump checked before I sold it to Tyler, and for a little more they turned and balanced the barrels...

My thought is they aren't a performance shop. They are the average Bosch in
jection shop. From what I can see the basic work like I had them do should be something any local Bosch shop could do. For I'm guessing roughly the same price. Which is significantly less than shipping your pump to one of the big shops...