Pumps here (COMP, not your thread!)

ahhh ok. so, removing the cover is only needed if I become a butter finger. :)

ok, thanks for the info

What are you talking about???

I've pulled CP3's about 10x. Leave the puller attached to the gear. The gear stays inside the case. Unbolt the pump and pull it out. If you need pics, I can post them.

12V? wtf?

sorry, my bad. I figured the gear came out with the oem pump.. :) ignorance, I claim it!

Here are some pics to go along with shane's instructions...

There is a plug in the front of the gear case cover
cp3008.jpg
, a 3/8 ratchet and 3" long extension will remove it.
cp3007.jpg
It has a square slot that the the extension fits into, just like a socket. This will give you access to the nut on the gear, the gear goes nowhere, just sits inside the cover.
cp3012.jpg
When you put the pump back through the cover, take your fingers and push the gear up onto the shaft, then install the washer and nut. Use a magnet to to put onto the end of the shaft, then slide the nut and washer over the magnet, so you don't drop them in the gear case. You can do this on removal and replacement of the nut and washer. You shouldn't need to remove the drive belt. It does make it easier though.

When you go to reinstall the access plug, line up the start of threads on the plug to 12 o'clock, you can also turn it backward while trying to insert it. You will feel it straighten up, then turn it in with your fingers. All you need to do is snug it I mean like it is made of plastic, because it is. They will break!

you'll also need to remove the high pressure feed line to the rail
cp3006.jpg

cp3005.jpg

and the appropriate low pressure feed lines to the cp3.

Here's a pic of the puller I got from II
cp3013.jpg

Thank you for the pics. I'm sure that's going to help out more then just me.

So the gear has just enough room/forward play in the case to pop off the pump. Makes sense.

Thank you for the pics. I'm sure that's going to help out more then just me.

So the gear has just enough room/forward play in the case to pop off the pump. Makes sense.

The pump's shaft kinda slides off the gear. The most important part of the whole deal is not to drop the washer inside the case. I don't think there is enough room to drop the nut down in there. To reiterate, use something like a screwdriver or extension magnet butted up to the end of the shaft where you removed the plastic access plug. Slide the nut and washer off the shaft onto the magnet or screwdriver. Kinda like putting a ring on a girls finger, except cheaper, and without the long-term consequences.

Another possible pitfall, please pay attention as to when the gear pops loose, use a ratchet and a socket to turn the bolts on the puller.

I got in a hurry once and used an air ratchet, while someone was trying to talk to me. I kept going until the ratchet stopped. It distorted the case cover. I had to remove ALOT of pieces to get the cover off, then had to straighten the cover and put it all back together, took alot of time. Needless to say, no more air ratchets to pop the gear loose.

the torque spec on the plug is 8nm if your interested in a torque spec?.

does the truck the pics are from have 2 miles on it.it is to clean to be here in n.y.

Well a Summary:

Truck fired up and idled perfectly the first twist of the key, that never happens for me on a project like this.

I broke that piece.

Shane is freaking awesome. Cummins NPower couldn't find the part number for that thing, Shanes went back to the shop to get that number for me. The number changed 3 times Shane. I bought the last two for $10. I have an extra now. :) I had it one right the first time, just didn't recall exactly how it "seated" in there. it's on good with an extra dose of black rtv

upper hose sucks.

Belts suck

Gear pullers suck.

That freaking fan needs to just go. who uses them anyways? It sucks.

That bottom bolt sucks on the cp3.

For some reason, my lift pump failed to fire up.... odd. it started working 30 minutes later. I just about had it when that didn't cycle.

Best part. that vibration is gone! ohhh crap, when shane gets my core back, I'm expecting to hear that the shaft is outa wack! :)

It's been raining, but I can already fell it pull hard. Might need one of them fancy mp8's now.

More details to come later. I"m going to give it a few more hot-cold cycles and miles before I get on it.

All's well that ends well. Good job man! Give us the scoop when you get some results.

In t - 3hours and 30 minutes I'm high tailing to home to let the dog out and change and then up to Forest lake to a friend that has organized tools. :)

lol:hehe: I thought I was the only one, I spent more time looking for tools than using them. I finally broke down and got a new Matco top and bottom box to help my clutter.

lol:hehe: I thought I was the only one, I spent more time looking for tools than using them. I finally broke down and got a new Matco top and bottom box to help my clutter.

Still ended up buying a 1 / 1/16 socket for hte nut on the pump. :) He had 1" and 1 1/8 :)

I wish I had pictures. But the best part was the duct tap holding hte plastic deal together for the drive to Cummins NPower and to home (35 miles total). :) Lost only about 1/2 quart of oil.

Is there anything a good amount of duct tape can't fix? :)

i must say i am very jealous of your pump... :( mines not that good looking

We only paint the used pumps that we make Dragonslayers out of. They usually look pretty crappy when we get them. Out of all the cores we recieve, about 2% can be upgraded the other 98% are junk!

We will paint new pumps at the customers request, otherwise they are shipped looking identical to a new pump.

We only paint the used pumps that we make Dragonslayers out of. They usually look pretty crappy when we get them. Out of all the cores we recieve, about 2% can be upgraded the other 98% are junk!

We will paint new pumps at the customers request, otherwise they are shipped looking identical to a new pump.

yes i know that i am just playing.

my cp3 is stock

Oh really, Evan

You can tell the truth, I saw those stickers in your back window LOL

I know what you've got under the hood, is that turbo begging for mercy yet?

Oh really, Evan

You can tell the truth, I saw those stickers in your back window LOL

I know what you've got under the hood, is that turbo begging for mercy yet?

Shane You Can Build and Produce great products for the diesel market
and your up front with all your customers what else can we ask for

just send me head studs and valve spring and push rods???

turbo has no feelings its man made :)