pyrometer

48snowman48

Plowboy
My pyrometer quit working on me. I suspect the thermocouple. Is there a way to check? If so, the gauge is a Banks (on the truck when I bought it) so would I need a banks thermocouple or would a generic one work? And where could I get a cheap thermocouple?

Thanks.

My isspro did the same thing, I called them and they said to clean the thromcuper lead wires where my had little screws where they attached to the rest of the wire harness. I took some sandpaper and and cleaned them real good, they said that the slightest contamination will not make a good connection. It fixed mine its worth a try for you.

Every pyro gauge that I have worked with just use the typical K type thermocouples. If you have a volt meter that has a thermocouple connection you might be able to check it that way or else there are thermocouple meters too.

If you end up needing a new thermocouple there are plenty of places to get them. I would steer away from getting one from a gauge manufacturer due to the fact that they are all overpriced IMHO.

my pyrometer going down the road will work sometimes and sometimes it will jump around. any ideas whats wrong?

If you have a good voltmeter you can probably read a voltage on the thermocouple wires where they plug into the meter if you have the engine running and some heat on the probe. Take the wires off the guage and be sure not to touch them with your fingers while you hold them on the meter probes. The thermocouple will show a larger difference in voltage for each degree the tip rises. Problem is, the voltage is really low so you need a good meter with high resolution and a low impedence.

Thanks for the tips guys. My brother in law has a nice voltmeter. I will give that a try this weekend.