QSK19

kalder

Kevin Alder
I am working one of these things at work. What causes these engines to miss on compression? I can run the engine up to 2000 RPMs, then release the throttle, it will come down fine but it sounds like its missing. It bounces at 1000 RPMs, then misses its way to 700, then sits there and idles on all six. It does surge slightly at any rpm.
It doesn't seem low on power.
We have two of these engines that are the same- one runs perfectly smooth, and this one.

Any high horsepower cummins gurus have any ideas?

No air. I put a sight glass in, good to go. Could be an injector.
Fuel pressure is in the middle of spec, but surges also. Estimated timing is ahead of desired over 50% of the time. Sometimes it will crank hard then it sounds like fuel knock on one cyl for a couple revolutions after it starts. I'm guessing injector. How do I isolate?

Last edited:
what year is the engine? is it an electronic engine, if so i would hook up cummins insite and do a cylinder contribution test or do a cylinder cut out

just my 2 pennies

Is it knocking at all? Could be a failing injector. Is there excessive return/leakoff flow?

We have 2 2003 Kodiak northwest snowblowers that were built in 2003, one has always run perfect, this one has been running like this for a few years. They don't get much down time while they are in my area during the winter. So the only time I get to mess with it, is this time of year when we are getting the major things fixed before it goes to another area to open the highway for the summer.

The only test I can seem to get to on insite is the fan clutch test. (Not sure if I'm missing something or if that's all that's available.)

Next time I get a chance, I'll do the injector return flow test.

E262298D-C0FA-4596-9EE2-5BC687EBC5CF-12302-00000B613259F67A_zps56559c82.jpg

Here it is clearing a controlled avalanche on the snowshed on I-90 at snoqualmie pass.