fass 150
180 pump tuned
full cut delivery valves
4k gsk
turbo back exhaust

id like to use the garret 3782r turbo
but also kicking around at 64/71/12 or 14
want to make about 500 hp
i know ill need to add more timing to it thinking of setting it around 18* or so
is the 3782r too small for what im looking for or am i better off with the 64/71?

Too much injector. You would be better off with a 5x14 or 7 hole injector. Will be easier to tune and you can get 600+ out of a set of 5x14's. Ditch those stupid smoky full cut DV's. Get yourself some Comp Cuts or 024's.

I'd also start at about 21* timing and move up from there.

got a 98 12v
so far i have 5x18 injectors
tork tek 60hp over flow
fass 150
180 pump tuned
4k gsk
turbo back exhaust

id like to use the garret 3782r turbo
but also kicking around at 64/71/12 or 14
want to make about 500 hp
i know ill need to add more timing to it thinking of setting it around 18* or so
is the 3782r too small for what im looking for or am i better off with the 64/71? stainless diesel near me sells a 63/68 also so thats an option as well
i really like the garret since it will most likely spool the best and they sound great but id rather have room to grow with a bigger turbo than i need currently if i decide to spray it or put more fuel to it

Garret 3782r is "rated for 450 hp and 1000ftlbs" and if you look up the specs the Compressor is 61.3/82/56, Turbine 72.5/78 a/r .89. So in my opinion I think you'd be happier with a 64/71/12.

63/68 is a awesome little charger. Those 5x18s are way larger than what you need for 500hp tho. A good set of 5x14s would work great.

Sent from my paperweight

im not positive on the injectors really. i bought them from the guy who i got the truck from he is a pretty well known sled puller in the indiana area.. he went bigger for his personal truck they were tested and checked before i bought them and all was good.
the 5x18 should be good for like 700hp on a 180 pump truck right ?

Either use those for compounds or trade them for smaller injectors.

care to explain further on why it dont like the 71mm turbine , is it just a head flow issue or lack thereof ?

The rpm and fuel it takes to drive it isn't ideal. As stated above a 63/68 Is a hell of a charger.

Save your coin, buy a box 63/68 charger. Then buy a t4 manifold. Then you have many other turbine housing choices. You will have the same amount of money in a manifold and turbo vs. The link you posted

X10 on the 5x14s. And smaller dv.

Last edited:
Too much injector. You would be better off with a 5x14 or 7 hole injector. Will be easier to tune and you can get 600+ out of a set of 5x14's. Ditch those stupid smoky full cut DV's. Get yourself some Comp Cuts or 024's.

I'd also start at about 21* timing and move up from there.

7 hole injector = no good for performance

63/68 is a awesome little charger. Those 5x18s are way larger than what you need for 500hp tho. A good set of 5x14s would work great.

Sent from my paperweight

The injector is a bit big I agree, but they sure spool better than 14's. My opinion, pull the pump back with delivery valves and plate, keep the 5x.018.

12 valve no likey 71mm turbine.

I ran a 66-74-12 and it LOVED the 74 turbine. Its all in the tuning, and being able to see the big picture. Obviously the bigger the turbine the better the engine will run up top and sacrifice low end. In my experience you can make a big turbine wheel'd charger spool great on the low end by running a large injector with the pump pulled back, saw this several times when switching from 12's to 14's to 18, and finally to 22's. each increase in injector size I saw a big difference in spool up. Its up to you to find a happy medium of enough fuel to get the charger off its butt but not overfuel the crazy thing. 18's with some 035 DV's was almost perfect for my 66.

Personally, keep the 18's, pull way back on the delivery valve and get to tuning when you jump into a new charger. A lot of guys really like the 64-71-14 charger. That's more of a 600hp combination, but I doubt you'll stop at 500. :welcome:

yea i doubt il stop at 500 too but its was a general plan to at least stop at for a little while lol

12 valve no likey 71mm turbine.

Mine loved the 64/71 I had. 15 psi in OD at 1500 rpm seems pretty responsive. I probably wouldn't have pulled it off I didn't already have Garrett BB twins built.

Did over 500hp on 5x14's and 181 DVs.

My truck is a 5 speed. I could see it being easier to spool with the auto. Op never mentioned what his truck was.

its an auto, getting dropped of next week or so for a full build on the trans
i pulled the fuel plate, installed the afc spring, did the tork tek 60 ofv and boost elbow and am quite dissapointed so far with it seems no faster than before makes more noise and smoke seems a bit better midrange but top end is still pretty dead , kinda think thats due to the stock turbo

im guessing that the top end power will come when i do injectors and the turbo, picked up a billet 63/68/14 t4 turbo and a stainless diesel manifold for it so i think the billet should clear up my big injectors pretty well

Last edited:
so i think the billet should clear up my big injectors pretty well

Billet has nothing to do with cleaning up large injectors. How much flow that charger makes is what matters, and it doesn't flow near enough to require 5x18s. I run a 67.7/83/.90 and can way over fuel it with the big delivery valves.

Sent from my paperweight