question about firerings......

triton

Scarlet Fever
When the head and block are grooved for rings, does that require a thicker ring than if you were to just groove the block or head alone?

I'm not understanding how it would crush that being the case

.105 ring .062 gasket .014 grove in head and block would achieve .015 crush
the groove would be .028 deep if only in one surface

.105 ring .062 gasket .014 grove in head and block would achieve .015 crush
the groove would be .028 deep if only in one surface

Ok, I get it. Guess I could have done the math but, wouldn't have been sure. Thanks.

I'm going to play the "ignorant question asker" here....since I don't do internal motor work nor have the knowledge.

If you put the ring in the head or block, how in the world do you get the head lined up during assembly to be exactly on the ring or groove in the block? Seems like an alignment nightmare to me. Doesn't that double the complexity?

I'm going to play the "ignorant question asker" here....since I don't do internal motor work nor have the knowledge.

If you put the ring in the head or block, how in the world do you get the head lined up during assembly to be exactly on the ring or groove in the block? Seems like an alignment nightmare to me. Doesn't that double the complexity?

O-rings are fitted to the head or block and wont fall out. Fire rings are just a loose ring that sits in the groove you cut and the special headgasket will hold the fire rings in place while you set the head down onto the block to head alignment dowels.

Oh, ok. I wondered what held them in place since I thought they were loose. I wondered the tightness of the dowels and precision of the alignment since we are talking .xxx dimensions. This is why I bolt on parts. LOL

Last edited:
Mine arent built in my gasket i have the gasket and separate rings. Iv been trying to figure out how im going to line it up also since im just cutting the head. Im not sure what i could put on the rings to keep it in the cut groove while i put it on i was kind of thinking high heat cylicone just a lil bit to keep it on while i put the head on. Or whould that be a bad idea.

Typically you can cut those grooves a little smaller or get a slightly thicker ring and use a rubber mallet to seat them in the head.

I was thinking the same thing would the machine shop just have to measure the width of the ring and just cut a bit smaller and its hard to find someone local that can even cut it in the head. Most dont have machines big enough.

Set head gasket on block and then set fire rings down on block inside cutout part of gasket. Use two studs on opposite ends of head and set head down on block. Ive always done it this way and never had any issues.

^^^^I agree. I have my own cutter and I mostly fire ring so cut both surfaces but we have cut just orings in the head but regardless, as stated above the HG slips over the dowels and won't move around at all. Once it is in place you lay they rings flat on the deck of the block and the cut outs in the head gasket will center the rings perfectly on the cylinder. The rings are tighter in the cutout of the gasket than most would think. It all lines up easily.

Back