Question about racked barrels

Mine its a 180 pump, full cuts, and 4k gsk

Sent from the recliner butt naked

I can't comment on actual cc output but I did notice more low end grunt and about 4 more psi but it still cleans up nice by 2-3 shift

Take that fuel plate out LOL and if your trans isnt built, then buil it, it will load it more.

Take that fuel plate out LOL and if your trans isnt built, then buil it, it will load it more.

Trans is in the works as we speak. Along with some super secret squirrel stuff. Until the the fuel plate will stay right where it is. She already slips going into OD.

Sent from the BooBoo Bus

Trans its in the works for me. Everyone around here say i have a miracle Trans. 253k on it. No plate for last 3 years. Been through 370, 7x.010, 5x.016, and 7x.014 injectors plus a hx52, S366, and s466 turbo and still kicking. But have a feeling it won't last much longer. Still shifts and locks up good though. I'm second owner and previous owner never touched it.

Trans its in the works for me. Everyone around here say i have a miracle Trans. 253k on it. No plate for last 3 years. Been through 370, 7x.010, 5x.016, and 7x.014 injectors plus a hx52, S366, and s466 turbo and still kicking. But have a feeling it won't last much longer. Still shifts and locks up good though. I'm second owner and previous owner never touched it.

You sir are blessed. I put a stocker in 85k ago and it is ready for a dirt nap. I'm taking it easy until I get the rest of the money saved up for the internals.

Sent from the BooBoo Bus

Anyone have a good guide or some instructions on racking the barrels?

My truck with 132k runs pretty rough in my opinion, maybe racking them will help it out some.

Anyone have a good guide or some instructions on racking the barrels?

My truck with 132k runs pretty rough in my opinion, maybe racking them will help it out some.

Tools required: 14mm wrench, 19mm wrench, 10mm socket, long bearing punch or flat screwdriver, hammer.

1. Remove intake horn
2. Loosen #1 fuel line
3. Loosen #1 DV barrel
4. LIGHTLY tap the ear on the barrel on the side towards the engine to its most rearward point (towards firewall) you will hear a difference in sounds when it stops.
5. Tighten both nuts
6. Tighten fuel line.
7. Repeat 2-6 for all remaining barrels on IP.
8. Replace intake horn.

PS. Where is your idle RPM set when in gear and AC on?

Sent from the BooBoo Bus

Last edited:
For reference I had mine benched. 180 pump, mack plug, no plate and 022DVs flowed 460cc's of fuel.

Is there a torque spec for the barrel nuts?

Thanks for the info, idle is around 700 warm. It's a manual also.

I want to try it but I need to get a plate in it before I push anymore fuel, or a wastegated exhaust housing. It will hit 39 psi of boost right now, really don't want to murder the clutch or turbo right now. LOL

Seems like a good mod to the pump though when I do get a larger turbo, clutch, injectors, head bolts/studs, all that good stuff. :nail:

I'm second owner and previous owner never touched it.

Haha, I thought that too, until it was tore apart. Last year it was found out that it had a billet apply lever, and this year noticed a billet servo LOL No idea who put the parts in. The truck was a city owned vehicle in fort collins for the first 8 years of it's life, and an old man owned it after that, and then me.

If my mind serves me right, the barrels torque @ 77ft lbs.

Thats a lot for such bolts! I may be lucky mine didn't back off, I know I didn't go that tight out of fear of stripping them out LOL

Mines been a local truck who was owned by my friends dad. They wonder how in the he!! its lasted so long. Between the three of them (family farm) they have 9 98 12v and one 97 and a 96. The 97 dually has been through two autos in 3 years and onr manual in a 98. They are very picky when it comes to there trucks. They do not modify them what so ever. Traded me a s&b cai for my stocker cause they didn't want it.

If my mind serves me right, the barrels torque @ 77ft lbs.

The DV holder is 90 ft-lbs, which I think is what you're thinking of. The ones that hold the barrel in place look like a 10mm stud, which would be in the 25 ft-lb range.

I'm going to rack the barrels on my 95 in a few days while it's on the dyno. I'll be curious to see what it does, hp-wise. Truck is pretty clean smoke-wise as-is, so I should see a good gain I would think, should be able to use all the extra fuel.

Back