question for the12v guys

kasey200

I haven't been on this site for about a year since i got rid of my powerjoke. i would like to ask you guys a couple questions. I was given a 1995 Dodge 2500 with a 12v and 5 speed. It has about 200k miles and has been parked for about a year now. i know the truck quit running when it was parked and they never wanted to put anymore $$ into it to get it fixed (he said something about the turbo being bad.. IDK if they ever actually diagnosed it or if they are assuming the turbo is bad). I think the motor is i decient mechanical condition otherwise. I would like to get it running and use it to pull my boat and jeep around with, but i don't want to dump a major amount of money into it. My questions to you guys are:
1. Would it be feasable to dig into it and find out what is wrong with it? I think it would make a great tow rig.
2. Where would i start? I would initially drain the tank and replace the fuel filter for starters. are there any other fuel componets that i should give a once over? What are some other things i should check out right off the batt?
3. Is there a way to do a compression test on a diesel? (please excuse my ignorance) if so, what numbers should i be looking for?

Thank you very much for your help!

1. Would it be feasable to dig into it and find out what is wrong with it? I think it would make a great tow rig.
2. Where would i start? I would initially drain the tank and replace the fuel filter for starters. are there any other fuel componets that i should give a once over? What are some other things i should check out right off the batt?
3. Is there a way to do a compression test on a diesel? (please excuse my ignorance) if so, what numbers should i be looking for?

Thank you very much for your help!

of course it would be feasable to atleast check into whats wrong with it, what exactly do you mean by it quit running? If there saying the turbo is bad does it, run but just poorly, or does it not start at all. Did something happen to it while they were driving or did it just not start one day?

of course it would be feasable to atleast check into whats wrong with it, what exactly do you mean by it quit running? If there saying the turbo is bad does it, run but just poorly, or does it not start at all. Did something happen to it while they were driving or did it just not start one day?

I wish i knew the answers to your questions it would make this easier. The way i understand it just wouldn't start one day. He said the turbo was getting "weak". Please keep in mind that he is not a mechanic. He more than likely has no clue what he's talking about.

Could be as simple as slipped timing or a ripped intercooler boot. If it is the turbo, a used hx35 can be had for $400. Rebuild kits are less than $150 if the wheels are still good.
Like willy said, see if it turns over, starts, idles and go from there. There is a manual pump to get the fuel flowing once you replace it under the brake fliud resivoir. You will be arm deep into your engine bay and pumping for a while if you replace the filter and dump the fuel. I can't see anything too costly going wrong with the engine itself, they are fairly indestructible. Good luck!

could also be something as simple as a bad shutdown solenoid to if it just suddenly wouldn't start. That's on the side of the pump, and bolts to the afc, make shure it pulls up when you try to crank it. "turbo getting weak" have you checked the airfilter? If the fellow was truley not mechanically inclined in anyway, maybe the loss of power from a plugged filter, is what he's contributing to being a bad turbo. I'd first check shaft play on the charger and then check for any rub marks, and if you don't see anything change the filters in it and get it started see what it does.

Willy beat me to it. My first guess was gonna be a bad solenoid. And if it got weak before it went bad that could have cause low power as well.

check those rubber fuel lines to .. and or a broken 90 degree fitting at the fuel tank "sending unit"

if you decide you dont want to put the time into. let me know and i would consider buying it off you

if you decide you dont want to put the time into. let me know and i would consider buying it off you

thank you but i'm going to dig into it and see what it needs. I've been wanting to build a 12 valve for quite some time now!

well i popped the hood tonight to take a look.. i noticed the shut off solenoid looks like it's in rough shape. the rubber boot is torn to shreds and the top of the solenoid housing is cracked( it's plastic). i am going to get a new one tomorrow and give that a whirl. do you guys recommend replacing the solenoid relay too? And, just to clarify... when the solenoid is out(or down) the fuel is off correct? and then when it's running it retracts? i believe that is how they are on the skid steers i have worked on in the past.(not saying a kubota is the same as a cummins)

Last edited:
yes you are right, down is no fuel and up is fuel. before you go and spend all that money just tie the solenoid up with some wire and crank it over and see if it will fire.

you do not necessarily need to replace the relays you have to buy them as a pair most likely you are headed in the right direction and also if the batteries are good turn the key on and bump the starter the relay should pull in and if it don't reach under ther and pull it up by hand and see if it will go up and stay there but if the batteries are weak you will have to pull start it or charge them up cause it takes some voltage to pull them solenoids up.

yes you are right, down is no fuel and up is fuel. before you go and spend all that money just tie the solenoid up with some wire and crank it over and see if it will fire.

I am going to try this tonight. I called the dodge dealer in town and they want $610 for the solenoid!!! I couldn't believe it. They can be found on ebay for about $170-$190. does this sound OK or should i stay away from ebay parts? who knows... maybe it's not even bad.... i was just doin some research incase it is.

I am going to try this tonight. I called the dodge dealer in town and they want $610 for the solenoid!!! I couldn't believe it. They can be found on ebay for about $170-$190. does this sound OK or should i stay away from ebay parts? who knows... maybe it's not even bad.... i was just doin some research incase it is.

honestly before spending the money for a shutdown solenoid, I would unhook it and manually pull the shutdown lever up, and try to start it. just to see if that is your problem.$.02

(edit) oops, looks like I got beat to it.^^^

Dont buy a solenoid before you know for sure that you need one.

I also personally wouldnt change the fuel filter without trying to start it first. They can be a pain to get primed back up at times, and surely the filter isnt so clogged that the truck wont start. Id just get it running first, then change the filter.

Like the other said, just tie the solenoid up or bump the key and make sure it is up and then crank it.

Im sure it is probably something simple. The 12 valves are very easy to work on.

Eric

Thank you guys very much! I went out on my lunch break and disconnected the solenoid and tied the shut off open with wire, it cranked for about 5seconds and fired right up!!!(sounded good too) I jumped in it so i could drive it around the fence and pushed the parking brake, thinking it would be set, but it wasn't. Now it wont release so it's still sitting behind the fence :( The release mechanism must be broke. I'm guessing somebody knew that or it would have been set. Oh well IT RUNS!! Thank you very much for the help guys... looks like i need to buy a sonenoid.

Dont buy a solenoid before you know for sure that you need one.

I also personally wouldnt change the fuel filter without trying to start it first. They can be a pain to get primed back up at times, and surely the filter isnt so clogged that the truck wont start. Id just get it running first, then change the filter.

Like the other said, just tie the solenoid up or bump the key and make sure it is up and then crank it.

Im sure it is probably something simple. The 12 valves are very easy to work on.

Eric

Thank you, I decided not to change the fuel filter for that reason alone.

i asked our accounting lady to pull the invoices on the truck and discovered something interesting. (This was before the truck was parked) the dodge dealer said "the wastegate was not functioning properly" this was never fixed according to the invoice.
How do you test a wastegate for improper function? What are the sideaffects of it now working properly? Too much or not enough boost depending on which way it is broke?

i think with a waste gate broke it would open up one you. i don't see one holding for you to have to much boost.

Back