question for the12v guys

No problem, glad you got it running! :woohoo:

The wastegate being broke could go either way.

If the rod was froze up for some reason, the gate wouldnt open. Or if there was a hole in the diaphram, it may not open.

If the spring in the actuator head broke, it may not stay closed.

The best way to test it would be to take it off the truck, and pressurize it slowly with air with a gauge on it to see at what boost PSI it started opening, or if it opened at all.

If it is stuck shut, it wont hurt anything at all on a stock or lightly modded truck. It will just build a little more boost, but not enough to hurt anything.

If it is stuck open, you will have slow spool up, more smoke, and low boost/power.

I would put a boost gauge on the truck, and drive it before i took the turbo off though. Even if it is temporary just for testing purposes. If it isnt building any, or much boost, then you can go from there with it. If it is building 20-30psi and has decent power, then i wouldnt worry about it until you start adding a lot of fuel at which point you would want to watch the boost so that you didnt spin the stock turbo too hard. Keep in mind these trucks arent that strong if they are bone stock, so dont expect it to really set you back if its stock. A bone stock truck with a functioning wastegate should read between 18 and 22psi at WOT in the higher gears at 2k+ RPM. If the gate is blocked and the truck is stock it may make closer to 30psi.

Let us know how it works out for you, or if you need any more help.

Eric

Back