Questions about removing wiring/pcm

holsky

Hey guys,

We finally started tearing into the pulling truck, getting it all cleaned up and getting it ready for next year. Now my question is what wiring needs to be kept? I know ive seen a few threads about guys doing away with the PCM and just running there own gauges for everything. And thats what were planning on doing.

Now what do you do about the crankshaft position sensor? What is it all affecting in the computer?

I was thinking about just re-running all of the wires that we needed, including parking lights/headlights/brake lights/ and so forth. We can kill the pump by a cable instead of using the fuel shutoff solenoid and we have the lift pump already on a switch.

Im sure that there is some stuff that im forgetting but just sitting here at work brainstorming on what to do about it.

Thanks for your help!
Austin

Not sure what your plans are for the truck, but for a DD, the pcm uses the cps signal for charging, tach, ac, etc. You probably already know this though.

Hmm.. That's interesting about the CPS. But the truck is going to be strickly a puller.

I'm thinking you will still want to monitor the rpm's. If so, you may have to keep the pcm active.

if its only for pulling y do you need head lights and tail lights

Well Im pretty sure that some pulls that require them. But I could be wrong... Thats just what I heard.

I removed all the usless wires from the engine wiring harness, (kept the oil, camshaft, water temp, alt wires). still left the pcm hooked up and made a cover over it and wrapped the pcm wires with heat sleeve for the hood stack. I'm a strickly puller and mine is a 01. some rules want all the "factory" stuff still working except the a/c, atleast for 2.6

Where can I find a wiring diagram for a 97? So i can trace them all and keep the important ones like you said.

Yeah the 2.6 class is pretty strict.

I just traced my wires that I didn't need and removed them from the ECM and then plugged the open holes. Also cleaned up the ground wires. You maybe able to get a wiring diagram from cummins for the engine. I have a complete 2001 service book for my truck that covers all wiring, engines, drive trains, etc.

Alrighty, yeah I guess that would work.! Hah never thought about it that way. Ill take a look at it and see what I can do.! Thanks a lot for your help. I may try to google and see if I can find a wiring diagram for it.

Back