Questions about stacks

NVJAY775

Married with children
I'm thinking about going with a stack, or stacks, but don't know squat about them.

As of now I have 4" from the turbo all the way back to the back right corner of the truck. Not sure which kit it is. It does have a cat and muffler in it though :( So hopefully there will be some gain in temp and flow with stacks.

So many questions...

Single stack vs. double stacks? I like the looks of both, but what about cost and bed space. I can't see the duals having much of a performance advantage over a single stack but I dunno squat.

I am always pulling some sort of trailer and am pissing off alot of people in the right lane, or on the sidewalk. It is fun sometimes, but... And my trailers right side is, well... You know what I am getting at.

So how dirty do trailers get with stacks compared to side exhaust?

Cab noise?

If stacks are the way to go, what manufacturer do you recommend?

Thanks much guys!

for me i am a fan of the double stack and as for performance between the two i am pretty sure there is no difference since the double is just split from a single basically. As for the trailer if it is enclosed you may get some on the front of it but it won't be nearly as bad and cab noise they are loud but they are berable. alot depends on how high the stacks are as to how loud they are inside the cab. hope this helps some and i am sure someone else will chime in with more info

yea hight does make a diference but single or dual doesn't. cab noise isn't really that bad imo. i've got no cat no muffler and it doesn't even bother me. your's is gonna get alot of wistle straight piped.

there are a few manufactures out there making universal kits so they will adapt righ to your 4" system.

your not going to get much of a EGT temp drop with stacks, sorry. your 4" flows plenty now.

Personally, I like a single stack, but thats just me.

blackclouddiesels.com has a pretty good kit

it depends on your definition of 'loud' but your truck will whistle pretty loud if you leave your muffler/cat off. If I were you I would leave the cat on, and if its too loud, take the cat off and put the muffler on, just my opinion

hope this helps

I like the look of dual stacks on street trucks, for competition optimum flow is necessary so I put a single stack on my truck.

Check out our Grand Rock stack kit selections, we have them all on sale here here

I can get you a turbo back to stack kit as well, please call for pricing.

Straight piped stacks are loud, possibly illegally loud depending on the attitude of your local law enforcement officers.
I highly recommend the Aeroturbine 4040L muffler to minimize drone and get sound levels under control. Check it out here

As far as bed space, single vs dual.. dual in theory doesn't take up much more space because you still cannot slide a 8' piece of plywood all the way forward in the box with a single stack anyways.

BTW, stacks tend to tick off the people directly behind you, so its great for tailgater's :)

Just do a single stack... Do it cheaper... Get a 4 to 5 adapter and run a 5 inch 90 up, 5 inch 90 over, and a 5 inch 90 back up... It would be alot cheaper then buying the whole setup....Single stack will shoot the smoke higher and look like alot more smoke than dual stacks... Ive always went with the single... Or if you just want to go really cheep, make a flat plate on the bottom of the stack and cut out a 4 inch hole... Bolt the stack to the bottom of the bed and then run flex pipe to it...haha... Thats how all the readnecks around here do it

I had the 4" cool duals on my truck, I removed it and put on a single stack. I noticed a drop of a couple of hundred EGT at wot. If I have the back window open it is crazy loud. It the rear slider is closed It is not really much louder than the duals. I have not muffler and no cat.

A single stack is more effiencent as there are less bends.

Also remember that you didn't like that smoke on the sides of your trailer. Now you are going to have it all over the inside of your bed. As the swirling wind goes over your bed some will swirl into the bed and coat the bed. You also cannot drive down the road with the back window open and the side windows down.

Here is a video:

http://www.turboneticstv.com/user_video_detail.php?mId=865

Here is a pull with the stack:
http://good-times.webshots.com/video/3076311230065538812xWnLjn

Last edited:
i like the looks of dual stacks A LOT better... i think they sound a little deeper too... kinda like comparing a single exhaust to duals... a slightly deeper groan... and i think it looks so much cooler with 2 huge clouds of smoke shooting up

I prefer dual stacks. I have dual 5" curved Grand Rock stacks. They are angled towards the side a little bit. It does a good job of keeping the smoke off my camper while towing. The only problem is water. If any gets in the stacks it blows black crud all over my fenders. I ended up adding a muffler to mine. I had a severe drone at 1800 rpm and trying to talk on the interstate was impossible.

Dang... Thanks guys. Didn't think I would get this much help. I am leaning towards a single. This may sound lame to some, but I am going to try and get a 5" black single miter cut. Any of you guys know of anyone selling them? Or maybe get one cut (raw) and then I could paint it? Thanks again.

Jay

you could get chrome one and then get it ceramic coated flat black don't know anyone making a black one. i would say talk to the guys at grandrock they may be able to custom do one or lead you in the right direction where to get one

Our Dealers or Distributors can buy "raw" stacks, and you can send them out and have them powder coated or ceramic coated if you wish. Here are a couple of pictures of black powder coated stacks, and y-pipe, then I belive the silver is ceramic coated.

newpictures005.jpg

Picture043.jpg

Since I use my truck as a work truck, I have a fuel tank and a tool box in the back. A single stack worked the best and I like better than duals. Everyone has duals.

Baylor5.9 said:
you could get chrome one and then get it ceramic coated flat black don't know anyone making a black one. i would say talk to the guys at grandrock they may be able to custom do one or lead you in the right direction where to get one
Silverline makes black stack kits.
Jay

I went with a single stack, a little loud but the plexiglass rear window doesn't help any. The bed stay's real clean if your tuning is delivering fuel correctly. I never had to clean my bed (brushed aluminum) because of soot.

Bed2.jpg

Last edited:
daytondiesel said:
Silverline makes black stack kits.
Jay

i thought they did an install of some black chrome stacks on a PS in diesel power and they didnt look black at all. crzycowboy's pics are of BLACK stacks. if only he could get GR to do it so that i wont have to source out when i do mine.

Garrett