Quick Diesel Class?

IdahoRob

Comp Diesel Sponsor
I'd really like to see a 12.0 quick diesel class in the NHRDA.

I thought the super street class would be a fun class for everyday driving trucks, but trucks are in the low 11's and have cages. Seems too fine of a line with pro street.

Either that or maybe change the rules to include more entrys.

What does everyone think.

12.0 Quick Diesel is a great class for the fast daily drivers.... But I hate the Gay name.
It needs to be called something impressive like "The 11.99 Super Street class."
The current Super street class is basically pro street, on DOT tires.
...& that pretty much makes it a "4x4 only" class, as 11sec 2x4's on DOT tires are at a significant disadvantage.
If SS dosent go to an index, there has to be something (other than tires) to make it a true street class.

What I like in QD is that guys running anywhere in the mid to low 12's have a chance to win. So this will hopefully bring in many more entrys.

Right now I can not compete in Super Street with my street truck. Being a full second off or more is a bit hard to make up on a tree. I'm not expecting the rules to change for just me, but thought there may be others interested, which may help expand the entries in the future.

Well why cant you run in Pro 1? I am planning on moving up to Pro 1 next year with a 13 sec truck. The only reason is because almost no one runs Pro 1 in Div 4.

I think you could be competitive in Super-Street with consistent mid-11's (and hence no rollbar). Lately it seems that as soon as someone runs a killer time (like Morkable's 10 second passes, or Dreaver's 9 second Pro-Street pass), they end up broken before eliminations are done. Shawn Ellerton was far from the quickest in Super-Street at August Blackout, but he still won by running consistently and not breaking.

Just add a little nitrous and git 'er done ;)

Regards,
Michael Pliska

Well why cant you run in Pro 1? I am planning on moving up to Pro 1 next year with a 13 sec truck. The only reason is because almost no one runs Pro 1 in Div 4.

I can and do run in pro 1. Just with fuel costs and prize money being what they are, running 2 classes makes a lot more sense. When driving 6-10 hours for an event, it's nice to run as many passes as possible.

Rob's already (in)famous for running two (or three) classes at the big events, and usually cleaning up in them.

As a longtime Super-Gas racer (9.90 index), I liked the idea of QD. I'll bet that if enough trucks near the index start showing up at the bigger events, it would be more likely to happen. I think the Super-Street class has provided some exciting racing already this year, though! We've had a semi truck win it at one event, what more do you want? ;)

Regards,
Michael Pliska

Make Super Street have to be street legal full registration and insurance if that makes any difference or throw one more pro class in where there is a bracket race for some what of a super street class

i agree i would like to see a 12.0 class.i ran pro one at the blackout and loved it all

I disagree our truck is leading in points in super street in division 1 and we run 12.20 to 12.50.

Our truck is consistent and doesnt break it has leather interior with no roll bar and is a daily driver. Also we have beat 2 trucks that were running 3 tenths faster than us but they were sleeping at the tree. :tree:

I really dont see an index class ever happening in super street, that is why there is pro 1 for trucks that want to bracket race.

I like having the heads up classes because that's what the fans understand. I like the idea of Pro Street, and Super Street. Pro Street looks like something built to drag race with. Super Street looks like something build to drive on the street, and got lost and ended up at the drag strip.

From a racing stand point. A 12.0 index class would be a hoot. It's far enough from the magical 11.49 that there shouldn't be any breakouts that get people kicked off the track, but yet fast enough that it would be fun to race. There are now a lot of trucks that could run close enough to the index to be competitive.

I like to race Pro1, and I wish there were more people that run in it. To me it is a bigger challenge then running Super Street, but that's just me.

Paul

I totally understand Rob's idea of a 12.0 index, it's heads up, sportsman tree. Super Street is going to be (already is) a great class. Street driven caged trucks. When we started the idea of building our race truck, the goal was a 9 sec street legal truck on #2. With all the tubed frame and glass shell body trucks starting to come on line, not sure we'll be competitive. Doesn't look like our truck will be done in time to do anything this year anyway. Not sure why Pro 1 draws so few trucks? Lots of 12 and 13 sec trucks out there. IMO it would be a great advantage to be a mid 13 sec truck in Pro 1. Lots of times the person who is chasing, red lights, or is that only me?:bang

It's funny how many people see it as an advantage to doing the chasing. The fast car has two advantages: 1) You have better "control" and visibility at the finish line (for cutting it close to avoid a breakout). 2) The slower car gets the first chance to red-light.

I think the slower car has two significant advantages: 1) You get a "clean" look at the tree (no distraction from your opponent's lights coming down) and 2) You don't have to sit there spooled up forever.

I personally prefer being the slower car (truck)... Unless it's in Pro-Street ;)

Regards,
Michael Pliska

It's funny how many people see it as an advantage to doing the chasing. The fast car has two advantages: 1) You have better "control" and visibility at the finish line (for cutting it close to avoid a breakout). 2) The slower car gets the first chance to red-light.

I think the slower car has two significant advantages: 1) You get a "clean" look at the tree (no distraction from your opponent's lights coming down) and 2) You don't have to sit there spooled up forever.

I personally prefer being the slower car (truck)... Unless it's in Pro-Street ;)

Regards,
Michael Pliska

You are right about the slower car getting first crack at red lighting.