Quick turbo question.

JamieWood

Blowin' Smoke
I just installed a SP 66 and its gated. I have never ran a gate so I'm not really sure what I'm hearing.

When I go through the gears and build boost @ around 20psi there is a "woosing" sound and stays that way til max boost @ 30psi. Almost sounds like a boost leak. Is that the gate opening?

Also, my truck is a 5 speed and when I'm shifting gears under boost there is a surging sound. Is that what it is or is that the waste gate?

you shouldnt hear an internal gate. check for boost leaks/ drive leaks. is the hose to the gate hooked up?

where did you get it, is it new? and your positive its a 66? i know the older 64's had a major issue with surging. i have one that has that same symptom, and the 66 thats on it now has absolutely no issues at all. check the boot coming off the turbo, i have had them blow on the bottom and not look like they are popped off on the top.

Well, its a used turbo. I called HTT with the #'s and they confirmed that it was a Sled 66. The sled is a 66-65-14. I figured with the 65 hot side that it would surge a little but not every time I shift.

2000- is your 66 a 66-65?
Turbo- yes, the hose is hooked.

well that trubo if everything is workin right should be makin 45-60 psi boost dependin on where the gate is set

Wooshin is a leak - been there one too many times

Look at your intercooler, your boots, clamps, especially the elbow and clamp that comes off of the turbo as the O-ring in my experience has blown out several times because the elbow was slightly cocked in the clamp

:charger:

Well, its a used turbo. I called HTT with the #'s and they confirmed that it was a Sled 66. The sled is a 66-65-14. I figured with the 65 hot side that it would surge a little but not every time I shift.

2000- is your 66 a 66-65?
Turbo- yes, the hose is hooked.

no my 64 is and i believe thats why it surges like it does, the 66 is a 71.