Ran into a problem building my twins

NYCEGUY01

I ran into a problem today. I have a chevy conversion truck in which My a/c compressor is on top of the motor. Once the exhaust manifold was flipped I realized my top turbo inlet is directly in line with the back of my a/c compressor. Theres not much room inbetween.

I looked at intakehoses.com and they sell a Cobra head type elbow.

They listed it for an aircleaner type application.
If Im able to get that in there will it hold up to the pressures it will see coming from the bottom turbo ???

The only other thing I could come up with will be a short ( 2.5" ) tube connected to the inlet with another pipe coming into the side of it at a 90 degree angle.

How important is smooth flow on the cold side inbetween the turbos ????

I was gonna have to smash the pipe to OVAL it out then weld it to the side short pipe attached to the turbo inlet then cap off the short pipe.

The air will be basically flowing from the bottom turbo then hitting a wall to flow into the top turbo.

Hopefully someone will understand what I mean. Im not real good at expressing what I mean with a keyboard. LOL

Without seeing exactly what you have, and going on theory alone, the cobra head as you describe it is actually more efficient in directing smooth airflow than a standard bend. (Think how the airflow on the longer outside of the bend has to accelerate around the tube and the inside bend air tends to have some turbulence) So basically, as long as there is no restriction within the bends (allows for same cfm flow throughout) and the material is sound enough to hold up to the pressure and heat levels it will see, it should work nicely.

I know the basic design will work. Its the actual piece itself. Ive never seen one in person and dont know if the material or the construction of it will hold up to the pressure etc...

That is the million $$$ question... If it can't hold up to say 800*+ temps and 100 psi... then no go... It is easy for those pipes to see 600* everyday.

It would not need to hold 100 psi because the boost pressure would probably be inbetween 0-30psi from the primary then the secondary would compress the rest.

Jim fulmer has an exhaust manifold in the classified that MAY help.

If you build a spacer make sure that is the shortest distance possible within reason.

The manifold I have is for a 24V, you don't have your motor listed!

Jim

Im working on a 12v. Basically my top torbo is directly behind my a/c compressor with only about 3" inbetween them.

If the cobra head deal is strong enough it will work perfectly.

Im really thinking smooth flow isnt needed here. My theory is that as long as there is pressurized air in the tube its gonna go through the top turbo no matter how many bends there are inbetween.

Comments ??

Here's a pic
90CB40-t.jpg

No this will not work that piece is desinged to pull in ambient air. You could see 30 to 50 psi from your primary blowing that thing up like a balloon not to mention the extra heat involved coming out of the primary chargers compressor outlet. I would suggest moving the compressor to the drivers side of the truck, like this.

CumminsBrackets.jpg

Just exactly what kinda twins are you building and how are you mounting them? Lots of people here have 12v's with twins that don't seem to have the problem you are having.

Just exactly what kinda twins are you building and how are you mounting them? Lots of people here have 12v's with twins that don't seem to have the problem you are having.

He has a 12V in a 90s style Chevy truck. The way he has his AC compressor mounted is what is giving him problems.

Dammit. I saw that pic a while ago and searched for 3 hours last night and couldnt find it again. lol

Thats almost exactly what I was thinking . I was gonna make the 4" piece shorter and oval a 3" on the end that welds to the 4".

OK, so the 90 degree turn wont hurt the performance ??

Basically is there any reason I shouldnt go this route ???

It's still just pressurizing the air...as short as the tube will be, who cares!

Chris