Rattle after freshen and ditching tappet cover diaper

rattlebox93

Has anyone diched the tappett cover diaper and noticed a pretty constant subsiquant rattle from the engine? It gets real notacable above 1500 and seems to be at its loudest when left in gear and the throttle backed off of using the engine as a brake thanks in advance dj

do you have pictures of said "diaper"??? :poke: my guess is you removed something that was designed to deaden the sound of the engine. in doing so you only made it louder than it already is. :bang if you removed a piece of foam from the blow by tube that was designed to keep the oil in the engine instead of running on the ground out of the blow by tube, then i suggest you put it back.

Username....rattlebox....removed diaper and found source of babies rattle! LOL LOL

Yea diaper i work on cats for a living ther have that crap over the whole engine block and it is commonly referd too among cat tecs as the "diaper" wich in the cat work does more soaking up of oil than sound deadning this is cats take on oil leaks " seals fix leaks paint fixes seaps" hense the tearm diaper and yes i removed the nasty ass oil soaked sound deadning foam rubber pos from the tappett cover.... I was just wondering does that make a pretty noticable increase in engine noise? When they come off the old cats it dont really make much of a diff but they are such rattly pos anyway ps sorry about spelling im on my iphone me and touch screens dont get along

do you have pictures of said "diaper"??? :poke: my guess is you removed something that was designed to deaden the sound of the engine. in doing so you only made it louder than it already is. :bang if you removed a piece of foam from the blow by tube that was designed to keep the oil in the engine instead of running on the ground out of the blow by tube, then i suggest you put it back.

No he didn't remove the material inside the crank case vent. Everyone calls the same things different names. Depends what industry you work in.

It's held on by studs on the tappet cover. It's designed to quiet the engine noise down. It does work. I've never noticed the engine being very much louder without it but a little bit yes.

I removed it from my 24v when I did the p-pump swap. I can't say it made anything louder, but I'd say the pump swap would make more of a difference anyhow.

I can definatley tell the difference from bone stock "dirty diaper" trucks and mine. Well, 26* timing sure makes these engines loud as hell, that doesent help either but there is a noticeable increase in noise imo.

I want to take my tappet cover back off and spray it with some rubber coating or something to knock the noise back down with out putting a diaper back on.

Last edited:
I deff dont notice a huge rattle just a slight ticking really but it is constant and deff something "mechanical" it seems to be coming from that side or the upper end of the engine the weird thing it when u take the oil filler cap off it seems to have a rattle coming from it that it never had beforei guess i need to take my timing cover off and check it out and as for a benifit..... Mine was nasty and oil soaked it was curling up and didnt fit rite anymore anyway.... When i put it togeather i was goin to use a piston lift pump so i would have had to carv it all up anyway soo i just left it off..... And as for a clean engine bay mine dont leak a drop cept a slight weep from the valve covers i dont think there is any way to keep a 12v from leaking from the valve covers

I deff dont notice a huge rattle just a slight ticking really but it is constant and deff something "mechanical" it seems to be coming from that side or the upper end of the engine the weird thing it when u take the oil filler cap off it seems to have a rattle coming from it that it never had beforei guess i need to take my timing cover off and check it out and as for a benifit..... Mine was nasty and oil soaked it was curling up and didnt fit rite anymore anyway.... When i put it togeather i was goin to use a piston lift pump so i would have had to carv it all up anyway soo i just left it off..... And as for a clean engine bay mine dont leak a drop cept a slight weep from the valve covers i dont think there is any way to keep a 12v from leaking from the valve covers

So this is in a 1st gen <94 truck?

You mean actual cleanliness of the engine bay or clean looking fit and finish or do you mean a non-cluttered engine bay?

I was wondering the same thing. I've seen plenty of clean engine compartments. Both fit/finish and cleanliness. There are a few threads on here of people's engine compartments that are beautiful.

I was wondering the same thing. I've seen plenty of clean engine compartments. Both fit/finish and cleanliness. There are a few threads on here of people's engine compartments that are beautiful.
That is what I was thinking. I've seen several pics of Wide Open Performance's work (triple builds namely) and it is absolutely insane how well done and clean everything is.

That is what I was thinking. I've seen several pics of Wide Open Performance's work (triple builds namely) and it is absolutely insane how well done and clean everything is.

I probably took it wrong but it's kind of insulting and makes us all sound like dirty hillbillies with clapped out rattle trap trucks. Both my trucks and every truck I work on is done as clean as possible and atleast on my trucks, money is not spared for half a$$ parts. I use aluminum A/N fittings just because they look good. Polished valve covers, injection pumps, billet front covers, tappet covers, compressor housings.

Obviously everyone has a budget but most people will do things as clean/nice as they can afford. Nobody wants their truck to leak oil and look like sh!t.

You mean actual cleanliness of the engine bay or clean looking fit and finish or do you mean a non-cluttered engine bay?

I mean clean as in hot rod "clean." Not just prettied up and still cluttered up. I've looked at all of the pics on here and many other forums.. People spend a lot of time and money polishing, powdercoating, etc, and don't get me wrong, they look nice.. But I haven't seen anything simple and clean. And honestly, anything newer then a 12 valve, it's damn near impossible to do so. Maybe I've just been tainted by too many hot rod shows over the years :lolly: