Rattle around 2000-2300 rpms

dodge05cr

Granny Shifter
Well I finally completed my build on my 05 and now trying to tune this truck isnt working out so well. Here's what I changed: 90hp edm nozzles changed to brand new Exergy injectors and 7 hole nozzles 120% over. Ported head and valve job, glacier intake pleneum and grid delete, glacier fuel filter delete. ArsonIII changed to PPE dual cp3 kit with dmax pump, fuel pressure at idle is 14psi. I was running ssr with the old setup and never got it tuned in so well, so now I have a smarty s06 pod that im using and it just doesnt seem like its working right. I keep getting a rattle around 2-2300 rpms, its like cruising down the highway, or if i slowly lay into the throttle. The only way I was to get the rattle totally out was to put the injection timing on stock, butttt then if you're around 2g and go to punch the throttle it lags, chokes out, rattles. No clue what else to do or try. Any help guyssss... :nail:

Last edited:
I would try to adjust the timing. You got to factor in your aftermarket tips at 120. Since you went to revo try timing 4 and report back.......hey you didn't say what turbo your running?

Last edited:
So far is seems to run best on SW4, TQ3, TM2, RP2. Barely any rattle and pulls hard. I tried SW5 and SW8 with the other settings the same and there was some rattle, it just didnt like it. I'm going to try SW6 tonight and see how it feels with that, but how come when i put TM on 3 and 4 it seems to still rattle. I also tryed just the stock ecm with no tune and there was no rattle at all, just slow obviously...

E.D. Billet 66/74/14
AFE stage 2 intake
AFE 3rd gen exhaust manifold
Banks Intercooler
Banks Intake horn and 3.5" piping
South Bend 3600 d.d. 6 button
MBRP 5" turbo back
Airdog 165
Isspro Gauges:
Pyrometer
Boost
Fuel pressure
Rail pressure
Quadzilla boost fooler
Stant 180 thermostat
Smarty S06 tnt-r
Snow stage 2 water/meth
PPE dual fuelers
Glacier intake pleneum
Glacier fuel filter delete
Hellmann grid heater delete
Ported head
Valve job
Hamilton springs / pushrods
Hamilton 188/220 cam
Exergy 120% over injectors
Wicked coolant bypass
Wicked arson III
ATI torque damper

I would assume that you are running motorsport nozzles. If so, I doubt you can get the rattle all the way out with smarty. When you switch the spray angle pilot pulse and timing become very important.

I would assume that you are running motorsport nozzles. If so, I doubt you can get the rattle all the way out with smarty. When you switch the spray angle pilot pulse and timing become very important.

What spray angle do they use vs stock??

motorsports are 143* vs. 124* for stock. They work fine, but they do need some fine tuning or at least that is what we have found on the 06-07 trucks.

great... well now what do i do. I have an ssr but last time i used that, i blew the head gasket haha. Why is it taking them sooooo long for efi for 05, i have pretty much a built truck and no tune lmao.

We are waiting on pins and needles in the Beta group. 03-05 is going to open the flood gates for us tuners and we know that Paul and Ross are doing all they can to get us a product to start testing. For now it sounds like you have found a combination that works OK and that is probably about as good as it will get until we can offer something via EFI.

well heres something i dont get. Look at the new tntr instructions for injection timing. #2 is for NOS, #3 is for huge injectors and less than #2, and #4 is for aftermarket injectors which is less than #3. My truck seems to run the best with barely any rattle on the NOS setting. Should huge injectors and NOS be like the same setting and #4 should have more timing than both of them if im correct. So is smarty tntr instructions WRONG??

well heres something i dont get. Look at the new tntr instructions for injection timing. #2 is for NOS, #3 is for huge injectors and less than #2, and #4 is for aftermarket injectors which is less than #3. My truck seems to run the best with barely any rattle on the NOS setting. Should huge injectors and NOS be like the same setting and #4 should have more timing than both of them if im correct. So is smarty tntr instructions WRONG??

Def looks like they are wrong!

Had this same issues with spray angle pattern. because shots outsides of bowl and actually melted a piston this way. switch back to stock angle modded nozzles and had no rattle or issues anymore. rattled both with smarty and then with efi it was real faint but still hear it. changed nozzles and no rattle with smarty or efi.

just letting you know what we found here

Shane,

So your saying that a set of Exergy's with Motorsport nozzles melted pistons because of the changed spray angle?

I am not set on whether or not changing the spray angle is a good idea or hurts things yet. The truck in this video had bad rattle after changing to motorsport nozzles, but with changes to to pilot duration and timing we have been able to get the rattle out. It made 999.95 and 1780 at 2700us and 26 degrees of timing, it bent a rod from too much methanol but the pistons were perfect. Update Your Browser | Facebook