Real budget turbos

JC6711

I know everyone wants to spend less money, but for some a $1000 turbo is a budget turbo. I am a broke college kid trying stick money into my truck. I have been looking at used turbos on ebay but I am having trouble with sizing. Im looking for old used turbos in the >$250 range. Something in the 60-64mm range.

What I am looking for is engines that have turbos of this size. I can find the turbos, but then they dont give the specs on them and I dont want to buy a turbo thats mis sized.

Like I have found a turbo off of a detriot 60 series which is 62/79, but I beleive that exhaust turbine is way to big.

Good used turbos can be found for cheap, I bought a cummins t46 turbo (73mm) for $100 and is in great shape. I was gonna use this for twins, but Id rather not blow up my tranny right now.

the holset he351cw is the best all around turbo for the $$$

can easily knock out 450hp on a mild 12 or 24v, more on a cr.

and is easily twinned in the future, anything 75mm to 85mm will work under it without much issues....

You're gonna be pretty limited under $250, I'd look for an HE351 like previously mentioned and port the wastegate out.

Best advice for these situations is always the same;

If performance parts aren't in your budget, than neither are replacement parts, and one warrants the other.

Well I am going to school for diesel mechanic, so this is kinda part of why I am doing this. If something breaks I can just park it drive something else. I'm not gonna buy a Chinese Turbo I'm looking for used OEM. I'm picking up a Garrett gt42 for my car this weekend for only $175 but I think that will be to big for my truck with only 5x.012.

Nope, use it as a primary in a set of twins, you will love it..

Nope, use it as a primary in a set of twins, you will love it..

This ^^ you will be half way there but really...

Best advice for these situations is always the same;

If performance parts aren't in your budget, than neither are replacement parts, and one warrants the other.

This ^^

Find an he351. You could put that gt42 under it for a good set of towing twins. That is if its a t6 housing.

2a2u5aza.jpg

If sell my t50 for $100 but I'd lose my nice ornament and wind chime wheels.

Sent from the recliner butt naked

Back