Rear end problems, input needed.

Trap_Shooter

To start out, my primary vehicle broke down last weekend so I started driving my diesel this week. After driving I started noticing a clicking noise while parking my truck with the windows down. After a day or two the clicking noise has turned into a loud pop when I put it in gear or going from drive to reverse. I figure it was a U-joint so I crawled up under my truck to check things out, everything was nice and tight and I even took the front drive line out to check it. So after discovering that the U-joints seem fine my question is do you guys think its in the rear end or the axles? If I have to replace the rear end what needs to be done to put a 3500 rear end in my 2500? Any upgrades you guys would recommend without maybe breaking the bank? Thanks for the help.

Even if the u joint is not loose it can still click. Rust builds up inside the joint making it bind. Jack up the rear end and put it on stands then get under the truck and have some one go from drive to reverse ect. and listen for the noise and see if you can find one that is making noise.

Would them being rusted also cause the loud pop going into gear? I can even here it when the windows are up.

Yeah you have one that is dry and destroying the needle bearings. Pull the shaft and check them.

Have some one change gears from Reverse to Drive to Neutral while you observe the driveline. Don't get under the vehical tho and keep the brakes applied and the parking brake on.

Would driveshaft ujoints only cause this noise, or could front axle ujoints make the noise when putting the trans into gear?

I am trying to also chase down some popping and clunking noises in my truck......I pulled the front shaft and had it rebuilt, still off the truck and still making the noise(s)

I'd also grab a hold of your pinion and see if it moves.

Thanks for the help guys. The good news is it was a U-joint, the bad news is one of the cups on the U-joint was froze and it wore out the socket it goes into on the back of the drive line, so sometime in the near future I going to take it to a drive line shop and have a new end welded on. But its still cheaper than a rear end. Thanks again.

Also, I'm going to rebuild both the front and back drive lines, what brand of U-joints do you recommend?