Rear Pinion..Again

Bobus

Powerstroked
So i got my truck back from ford 3 weeks ago with a new rear pinion seal and bearing, Put about 150 miles on it, went back to Ford for Injector work, Got it back drove the truck 300 miles or so for work, last night coming home and i hear a loud squeal, let off the pedal noise went a way, stepped back into it got the noise back, Pulled over and started lookin around to find my rear pinion Glowing bright Orange... So i'm guessing there was a failure on the install.. I have now lost faith in the Ford dealer here...

More shops seem to blow gear installs...

Just a FYI I had a pinion bearing go out and it glowed red. Trashed the entire housing when the bearing spun.

Just put that impact on the yoke nut and hammer it till it's good and tight..Yup..That's the right way to do it.... LOL

the 6.0's for some reason streatch out the heads and then they break off and shoot through the case... for a couple hundred bucks replace the gearset.

the 6.0's for some reason streatch out the heads and then they break off and shoot through the case... for a couple hundred bucks replace the gearset.

Gear sets are the cheap part......it's the damn install that kills you.

Anyone have a write-up, or an on-line site for doing a gear set swap/alignment on the 10.25/10.5"???

Back