Rebirth of Monster Mudder

How many guys run diesels? This looks like so much fun. I haven't gone to an event in years, and took my truck through one time (ran a Frankenstein jeep on 35" baja's before that).

I cannot see you only making 300rwhp though. HX35s with gov springs, exhaust, and basic pump mods can make more than that. With a 75mm you should be easily over 600rwhp. Guys with 66mms up here at elevation make 600rwhp on ppumps and a lot less go-fast parts than you.

Either way, keep up the good work. I love your videos and seeing a diesel tear it up!

I am the only diesel running around here not in the stock class. And even then I have only seen a couple run in the stock classes.

I know I am over 600 rwhp, the dyno just sucked. The truck is a blast to drive through the pits. It always surprises people that a diesel can run like it does. My wife heard people commenting on my truck as I was pulling up to the line that here comes a slow truck.... they ate their words after my run

I am the only diesel running around here not in the stock class. And even then I have only seen a couple run in the stock classes.

I know I am over 600 rwhp, the dyno just sucked. The truck is a blast to drive through the pits. It always surprises people that a diesel can run like it does. My wife heard people commenting on my truck as I was pulling up to the line that here comes a slow truck.... they ate their words after my run

ha ha that's always an awesome feeling making them eat their words. We were at the dunes this summer and some chipped dmax guy was talking crap ('wanna see a real mans truck', 'I'd tow you all around', '12v's are junk', etc..), I just ignored him. Then someone got stuck so I went to pull them out. He saw the roosters (and I played in the loose stuff a little bit after that too), and then I couldn't find him the rest of the weekend. Made me happy. :lolly:

started tearing down the mud truck some today and demudding it for the final time this year and thought I'd throw the 46's front end on it and see what it looked like...

10524807953_b5def9fe55_b.jpg

10524610674_811e6fbbfb_b.jpg

10524792613_dbf6a1687b_b.jpg

I know I'm going to have to switch over to a hydraulic brake booster to save on space and not sure what all else, I'll know more once I get the cab and bed off the truck and can sit the cab onto the frame.

That looks pretty sweet actually. You should cut it in the middle and split it. Then add to the middle, but bring it together in the front to to old grill.

Finally finished getting the old body off of the truck today and cleaned the rest of the mud off of the truck. We put the new cab on the truck today just to see how things are going to fit.

Quite a bit of mud left after I removed the cab
11076930343_5684bc5e72_b.jpg

11076922083_ef8be8170f_b.jpg

All washed up
11076743235_53b3ddafd4_b.jpg

11076841884_2327749b32_b.jpg

11076834114_8341719f78_b.jpg

Pushing the rolling frame back into the shop
11076893973_87174b63ea_b.jpg

Frame back in the shop with the cab sitting on it
11076888443_bcf3dabff7_b.jpg

Positioning the cab and front end
11076883483_9c177c2fe4_b.jpg

11076878383_fd8840485c_b.jpg

Because I needed a driver side drop tcase that would work with the th400 and I needed it cheap. I picked it up for 50 bucks from a salvage. It was locked up, I dumped atf in it and drove with it in the back of my truck a couple of days to help free it up. I put a rebuild kit in it and its been working great for 3 seasons

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Started building body mounts for the back of the cab today. Started off with some 4x4 1/4 wall square tubing, cut them 9" long then split it into 2 pieces diagonally to make 2 body mounts. I then cut the big holes so I could use the factory dodge mounts from the old cab and then trimmed down and rounded the ends off.

11125110644_03e07ed270_b.jpg

11125105094_93c220c446_b.jpg

11125209053_1d736a1ced_b.jpg

11125035635_50019334f8_b.jpg

I'm at the no turning back point, I'm going to have to cut off the original front cab body mounts in order to have room to build the front body mounts for the 46's cab.

From the looks of it, I'm going to be able to use the pedal mounts and the steering column out of the 96 I believe without a lot of modifications hopefully.

I've got to call salvages next week and see if I can track down a hydro boost setup for the truck so I can convert it over from vacuum boost setup it had and free up necessary room.

I'm still unsure how I'm going to mount the front nose of the truck, I'm going to have to build something fancy on the drivers side because the steering box is in the way where it should be mounted, so I'll have to build something that mounts on the topside of the frame on both sides.

Does anyone know if cummins every made the lower radiator house inlet where it pointed to the rear of the engine? They normally go straight out from the block towards the fender, but I need it to make a sharp 90 towards the back of the truck to clear the front nose.

The progress is looking great!

I would try and find a 90def silicone tube and then add a union.

The progress is looking great!

I would try and find a 90def silicone tube and then add a union.

Finished up the front cab mounts today, had to cut out the original front cab mounts to make room for the new mounts.

After that, I started laying out the front grill and trying to figure out how to get the narrow sob mounted around the front frame and steering box. If it wasn't for the steering box, I'd be able to make new mount plates straight down to the inside of the frame and may end up doing that on the passenger's side, but I'm going to have to make one go to the outside of the frame on the drivers side. I've got to try and find some steel pop rivets to fix the hood or something like that since the rivets are missing on half of one side.

11161799615_83e0c4ee9a_b.jpg

11161868754_b04df2e64c_b.jpg

11161842276_4d33feddf1_b.jpg

11161870944_cdab950d29_b.jpg

11161811625_0e911a2782_b.jpg

Been side tracked on working on the truck lately as I got roped into to making a huge cedar chest for my mother in law for xmas. We have the 4 sides all glued together and started sanding the sides today. Got to finish cutting the boards for the top and gluing them together. I have a week left to get it put together, sanded and clear coated.

But anyway, picked up some steel this week for the truck, need to make the supports for the front grill. I picked up some 1/2 cold rolled rod for the hood supports and we did a little torch work today to flatten out the ends on one end of each support rod for the front mounting. I've got to clean them up with the grinder tomorrow, drill a hold in the flat, trim the other end to the length needed then thread the other end. Also pick up a small piece of 1 1/2" x 2 1/2" angle for one of the front fender rear supports I need to make as I was missing one. We got it cut to length today and started drilling the mounting holes for the fenders. I'll shoot some pictures of the pieces tomorrow.

Worked a little on the truck today while waiting on things on the cedar chest to dry.

Removed the front window crank, ended up cutting the heads off the screws that held it onto the window channel and will drill and tap them once I get the windshield removed. The upper screws on the top are pretty rusted as well, hoping I can get them freed soon.

11281418556_40fb2cf2c6_b.jpg

Removed the old seat base structure today by cutting all the welds with my handy spot weld cutter bar I bought to use on my Camaro.

11281512094_3a25315693_b.jpg

I also started trying to figure out the seat height and how far in they needed to be placed. It was fun trying to crawl up in there with nothing to grab and the seat precariously balanced.

11281509146_3d4d267cbe_b.jpg

I have found a few issues that I'm going to have to figure things out on. In the following picture you can just barely see the turbo sticking out past the cab edge when it's aligned with the front grill. I'd originally thought I could work around that on the hood, but the fender hits into it as well.

11281475966_e87a51b84a_b.jpg

After testing fit of the bars connecting the cab to the grill, no problems on the drivers side, but again the turbo is in the way on the passenger side.

I'm going to have to figure something out on the turbo, either change my steed speed manifold from a straight exit to a 45 degree up or down or build a spacer to move the turbo up or down. I'm going to pull it off till I get everything else figured out.

11281519426_007d1bf88f_b.jpg

The water neck on the 6bt is in the way as well, I'm trying to track down an inlet with a 90 built into it or I'll cut it apart and weld a 90 onto it. to get it to clear. I need it pointed to the back of the truck.

11281420875_dfcc2da31a_b.jpg

The lines for the power steering sector are in the way as well with the way they are bent. I'm going to have to get new lines made anyway because I'm changing the truck to hydroboost off of a newer dodge truck, so the lines will be figured out later. with sharp 90's towards the back of the truck.

11281401045_91d1af9897_b.jpg

Anyway, some progress and some more stuff to figure out. Challenge accepted....

Last edited:
Talked to a friend today that built my engine for the race truck, talking about some options on turbo placement and we think we found a solution that might work. I'm going to try it tomorrow hopefully, but I'm basically just going to turn the turbo 180 degree where the fresh air is on the back and the exhaust out is on the front, I'm hoping that will relocate stuff enough to clear the fender, hood and the support rod. Then if that works, I'll have to decide if I'm going to stay in class 2 where I have to run the exhaust out to the bed and have a stack (additional weight) or if I move up to class 3 and run a short little hood stack.

I found one option for the water neck...

11301721815_9d07eddb4b_b.jpg

Still looking around to see what other configurations I can find from the different 3.9 and 5.9 cummins applications.

Been thinking on colors for the truck too, I'm tired of the flat black I had the truck with the 96's body, I plan on painting the fenders black along with the frame being black.

For the cab and bed I'm either looking at this color (electric yellow)

peyellowa.jpg

or this color plum loco purple:

50230_1.jpg

Since you're flipping the turbo have you thought about making the air intake inside the cab?