reese style hitch

IMO it should have a receiver tube with a removable drawbar/hitch.

In my opinion it should be a reciever sleeve type hitch with the sleeve mounted or welded to the truck using some kind of cross member and have no adjustments. Only adjustment should be on the actual hitch its self. Although to each his own, some think as long as the sleeve is there, its legal. With that said, they are basically allowing drawbar style hitches with a reciever sleeve welded to the end of the draw bar and the sleeve its self can be adjusted for hieght. That style of hitch would basically be no different that what you would see in the 3.0 ODL and open mod classes.

IMO, it should look like what came on it from the factory. now... adding supports, moving it forward, moving it up or down is fine. the adjustment should be in the actual hitch, which should be removable.

what if i was to mount a hitch above the rearend with the reciever tube extended off of it to the back of the truck, with reinforcements from the top of the frame. is that considered a reciever style hitch?

A lot depends on how the wording in the rules is and how the tech officials read the rule. I would agree with the "receiver" being mounted to the truck solid with no height adjustment and must "receive" the hitch that the chain actually attaches to. Now, where you mount the "receiver" portion is all up to how the rules are written.

A lot depends on how the wording in the rules is and how the tech officials read the rule. I would agree with the "receiver" being mounted to the truck solid with no height adjustment and must "receive" the hitch that the chain actually attaches to. Now, where you mount the "receiver" portion is all up to how the rules are written.

X2!

Here is what the rules state:
Hitch: The hitch must be a receiver-style hitch; reinforcements are permitted. Reinforcements
must not extend forward of the centerline of the rear axle. Trick hitches are prohibited. The
hooking point must be the rear-most point on the vehicle
and must be rearward of the stock location of the tailgate. The hitch must be horizontal to the
ground and stationary in all directions. Bumpers may be notched or removed. The hitch’s height
from the ground may not exceed 26 inches on 4wd units and 30 inches on 2wd units. The
hooking point must have a minimum 3.750-inch inside diameter opening for the sled hook.
The hooking point will be measured to the center of the clevis loop.

so in this instance i would say i am able to do it that way. correct?

I don't think so.

I think it basically has to look like a Reese (say a big one like a Titan V) with whatever reinforcements you want.

Mounting the receiver up inside the frame with a tube coming back is just a goofy way of having a "receiver" but we all know it's a drawbar style that they run in 3.0 or SS.

But that's just my Opinion.

IMO, it should look like what came on it from the factory. now... adding supports, moving it forward, moving it up or down is fine. the adjustment should be in the actual hitch, which should be removable.

X2. Anything else and you'll be putting yourself in the hands of Tech.

However if you have a nice rollpan and hide it all real well, I bet it goes unnoticed, unless some other smart puller spies it when it's on the trailer or whatever.

Last edited:
Gosh that rule looks familiar. I say go for it, and let the techs decide in the spring!!!:rockwoot::evil

lightsOUT explained it quite well.

I had new hitch rules wrote up for COTPC that would eliminate any gray area with hitch requirements but when bob and cotpc got together they decided to keep the old rules and in my opinion the old rules leave the door wide open.

Here are some pic's of the last hitch I set up and it should be legal for 2.6 @ most events.

Jasoneyeballs179.jpg

Jasoneyeballs176.jpg

HPIM3943.jpg

From what I can see, that looks quite legal for NADM, Jason. Receiver style with bracing not in front of the centerline of the rear axle.

Ive seen too many stock hitches break, I WANT to see reinforcements.

The hitch looks legal, but where's the stock suspension, i.e., leaf springs? (or were you just referring to the hitch only part for 2.6?)

Or are we not needing those anymore either? Looks much like a SS truck...

Last edited:
The hitch looks legal, but where's the stock suspension, i.e., leaf springs? (or were you just referring to the hitch only part for 2.6?)

Or are we not needing those anymore either? Looks much like a SS truck...

Yes just the hitch. We didn't have the leaf springs mounted yet in those pic's. We had to move all the oem susp. to the inside of the frame.

I would agree that those rules would not allow the "receiver" up under the truck very far. The pics Jason posted look to be perfectly legal also. Moving the receiver all the way up to where the rear axle is will make a whole lot of work for yourself without a lot of gain imo.

Jason for that receiver being a super hitch it doesn't look very strong with the actual receiver tube just being welded to the bottom of the cross tube. Wait now I see where those adjustable links connect to!!!

So that clevis meets the rule about the hitch being horizontal with the way it adjusts?